Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90354 times)

0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

I don't think Inev was even alive in 1976.

Hassenpfeffer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

Quote
Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976?  Julie Andrews prancing through the promontories?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Those disgusting little sausages that come in cans?  Nothing?

I wasn't even alive in 1987, much less 1976.

But yeah, none of those things (except the olympics) preclude Austria being a part of Germany. I knew it WAS a country before WWII, but I thought it wasn't anymore.

Now I'm vaguely remembering that a friend went to Vienna and I looked up where it was and maybe had a similar realization. But clearly it didn't stick. I also had to memorize every country in Asia, Africa, Europe, and South America in middle school, but those all kind of blended together after a while.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »

I'm still not sure who is sovereign, who is autonomous, and who is history in the Balkans.  I don't know that any of them know either...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »

There are definitely parts of the world where memorizing them in middle school is sure to be a big waste of time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2014, 12:13:02 am »

No more Iraq, no more Syria. Replace both with IS.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:52 am »

I would be willing to bet I have a pretty good grasp on where most countries are that aren't in Africa. And I definitely won't forget Austria now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:34 am »

I have a pretty good idea if somewhat vague idea of where most countries are. In Africa I think I could probably find Egypt and South Africa and that's about it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2014, 04:59:17 pm »

Cameroon is in the armpit of Africa, which seems like an unfortunate term since my impression is that they generally have their ducks in a row.  Somalia is another easy one, because its on that pointy bit aiming at India.
Djibouti.
Its just fun to say.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2014, 05:54:07 am »

This is the online drum machine I've always wanted. Ability to save the file, ability to create different patterns and move them around on a grid to repeat them, ability to change "resolution" (1/4 notes, 1/8, 1/16). So cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »

I'm trying to choose a website to start learning how to read Japanese again. I think I found the right one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2014, 06:16:13 pm »

I'm trying to choose a website to start learning how to read Japanese again. I think I found the right one.
I clicked through there to WWWJDIC.  Wow, that place looks like a rabbit-hole...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2014, 06:13:14 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »

Aww.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:54 am »

Here you go Inev: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/are-anthropologists-better-than-you-think.html

Most of the best economists I follow would agree with this argument and do their best to do "anthropological type field work" to get a better understanding of what happens with real people as opposed to on a chalkboard. They also give the best presentations. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Up