Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90543 times)

0 Members and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »


Really, it's all one big massive mind-trip. I've had to go from "I'm this and I do this to I'm that and I do that because of not being as stubborn/stupid.

Yeah.  Yeah.  It is kind of a self-image bender though.  I mean, I have those moments where I'm like "Am I really a guy who (does X)" or "Am I really a dude who eats Y?" So yeah, done that, guess I hope to keep on doing it. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:32 pm »

Years of self-discipline are paying off for you then.  A surprising number of people can't make that strategy work.  I'm in a fat shedding mode too, although my end point is in the 170ish range.  I haven't bothered weighing myself in a couple weeks though, so I don't know whether I'm being smug for unfounded reasons. I seem to be maintaining strength though, so that's good.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2015, 08:17:40 pm »

That was an epic hack! Congratulations on your problem solving abilities.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »

I am really curious about what my roommate does every morning when she leaves. First of all, she lets the door slam every time she enters and exits the apartment. Which is funny, considering that is one of the things she complains about our building-mates doing. But more importantly, it seems like she leaves, comes back, leaves, comes again, leaves again. Every morning the door slams 4 or 5 times. What is going on here?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:45 pm »

I spend the last 15 minutes before I leave in the morning wandering from room to room trying to decide if I have everything.  This cuts down on outside door opening/closing cycles.  I have 90% of my stuff together the night before, but that final 10% can be key.  Today I cut the ritual short and discovered later that I left my wallet at home :/
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:48 pm »

That's the backup train to hell.  666A was in the shop.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:59 pm »

I have been poking around in this Coding Python For Maroons book and trying to do some simple coding stuff. Just to find something to tickle that other part of my brain. I am trying not to worry that my major hobby seems to be learning cool things and then forgetting them.

I decided I wanted to try to make a program that would print out the fibonacci sequence. Should be easy, right? I tried a bunch of different ways and couldn't get it to work. Even when I just wrote out the steps in English and tried to translate them.
Weird, I remember doing this in my high school programming class no problem. So I looked up solutions online (cheating, I know) and every solution blew my mind in some small or large way (functions can run themselves recursively? You can assign multiple variables in one line instead of sequentially? "Dictionaries?"). Computers are cool as hell.

More importantly, the concept of a "dictionary" in python made me finally understand this GIS database thing I struggled with all day Saturday for my last assignment. I usually think I am a "learn by doing" type but all the examples we did in class did not help me the way a few sentences did just now. I am going to claim the professor used an example that was not very helpful. Knowing her, the example was the way it was because of some quirky feature GIS had in 1985 that she still abides by.

Whenever I tell my roommate what I am up to, he tells me that it all sounds interesting but it sure isn't urban planning. I think I'm OK with that. I had a nice conversation at my last job interview about how a lot of the really interesting stuff is in the weird subtopics that get lumped into Urban Planning programs because they don't belong anywhere else. The interviewer agreed and said don't worry, you're going in the right direction.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:13:26 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:40 pm »

That looks creepy as fuck.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »

All serving out plastic pizzas that clip onto the table. All making you wear yellow hand-gloves. Bed is hard and sheets don't fold down, you just lie on your back on top of the bed to sleep.

(Plastic pizza piece, for illustration. I had this kit as a kid!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:52 am »

Somebody posted this blast from the past on reddit. Wasn't this someone's avatar on here?

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »

Yeah, I remember that asshole!
Logged
We must repeat!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »

Wait, have you just been lurking the board for 5 years waiting for someone to post your picture?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2015, 05:59:37 pm »

I guess that's one way to look at it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »

Nothing to lose one's head about.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:02 pm »

I've recently made an accommodation with myself in regards to death.

I've decided that the worst it could be is, after some period or tearing pain and fear, is...nothing. Like when you get put under anesthesia and your lights go out and the system shuts completely down.

Except, like, forever.

My accommodation with myself is, if that's how it goes, I prolly shouldn't waste my shit over it because I have much much better things to do with my time at this gig than sweat out whether there's an encore or not.

So, yeah. When the existential going gets tough, the tough go solipsist, or some such.

On of the few things we know for certain about this life is that it's finite.  No matter what you think happens next, you must take advantage of the precious time you have here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32   Go Up