Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90512 times)

0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2016, 07:06:08 pm »

Is that brutal honesty? I just assume people aren't interested in excuses when I didn't get something done.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:16 pm »

In my experience, they just want to know when it is that you will complete it.  Anything else is just emotional upset being vented.  I learned this from my mom, along with the distinction between an excuse and an explanation.  Excuses just make people mad (because it's an attempt to avoid responsibility), and an unsolicited explanation is a waste of time.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2016, 01:38:51 am »

Have been aggravated all day about a data thing that was not working. Also discovered a big mistake I made at my internship that will result in a lot of extra work.

But then I got so annoyed that I googled exactly what I needed ("FAR2 Zip Code Populations 2010") and found a file that had it. And it was put out by the government so I can assume it is as accurate as I could get by trying to figure it out myself.
Now I feel so much better. Google is a wonder.

(FAR2 Zip Codes are zip codes that are more than an hour away from a municipality with 50k people or more, when driving the speed limit. There are more places that are that remote than I ever would have imagined.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2016, 04:11:07 pm »

Ever since moving up here I have been in search of My Beer. In St Louis I would just ask "Do you have any Schlafly beers on tap" and get whatever they had. Nice and easy. Going to the grocery store? See what Schalfly beer is in season and grab a six pack to take to the party.

Here in the northeast I have never found my ideal. Local breweries are crazy expensive (practically everything is $10 for a six pack at the liquor store near me) and never that satisfying.

But then:


On the other hand, a lifestyle where I only drank once every few weeks was OK for the last two years. There was one semester where I partied a lot but this year was bland aside from one debacle. Which was fine.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2016, 03:42:56 am »

Around for over a century. Not a part of the craft brew revolution.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2016, 07:16:49 am »

Once I started drinking miller lite I started liking beer again.

Sometimes nowadays I'll grab a coors.  Sometimes a Pacifico.  But...well, I have a brand.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2016, 04:58:55 pm »

If it's a choice between B/M/C and Pacifico, then the Mexican lager is what goes in my cart every time.  Learned about it from my mom many moons ago when I was at the store with her and she asked me to get her a 12-pack of beer.  I grabbed Corona, and when I brought it to her she said - "Don't they have Pacifico?"
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2016, 08:28:18 pm »

I know research was harder before the internet, but bibliographies must have been a lot easier when everything was on paper in front of you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »

Actually I take that back, because now I am imagining re-typing all of the entries because I messed up the alphabetical order.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:57 pm »

Yeah, no, nothing was easier before the internet. Bibliographies in particular not only don't have to be retyped, I don't even have to type them in the first place. I type part of the reference into Google, find where someone else used the same source and used the right format, and copy-paste the whole thing.

You know how old I am? I was alive when you had to actually physically go to the library to find out if they had a particular book.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #340 on: May 26, 2016, 02:13:31 am »

God, bibliographies and footnotes on a typewriter.  Holy shit but things are better in this modern day and age.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #341 on: May 26, 2016, 02:18:14 am »

God, bibliographies and footnotes on a typewriter.  Holy shit but things are better in this modern day and age.

Counterpoint: there were so much fewer people in every damn field and subfield even just twenty years ago, you had the time to do all of that and not have to worry that ten other more hard-working researchers would publish on the exact same topic that you were working on before you got a chance to dot every i in your bibliography, and as a result leave you without any career prospects by the time you were thirty, you lazy asshole.

Why yes, I am bitter.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #342 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:28 am »

Actually we did worry about that twenty years ago. Not only that, sometimes we had to wait several weeks for the interlibrary loan before we found out for sure whether that paper had scooped us, instead of just being able to download it from the internet.

But, sorry, that sucks.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2016, 11:40:41 am »

man, this lifestyle where I take a shower before bed because I feel sticky and then wake up 8 hours later drenched in sweat and shower again is for the dogs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2016, 09:56:10 pm »

The Eastern Seaboard in the summer lifestyle?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32   Go Up