Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90425 times)

0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #345 on: July 07, 2016, 10:19:52 pm »

I set up my air conditioner. Hopefully I can eliminate some of those showers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2016, 02:58:10 pm »

Yes.

In my parents' house growing up it was 100% sealed and air conditioned all day every day and it always kind of bothered me. But waking up swampy is for the birds when you are a grown up with places to be. Bedrooms need AC at least sometimes, and cooking in a kitchen without AC tests my resolve. I need to learn some cold recipes.

I'm catsitting in my friends' really fancy apartment in NYC, so this morning I made myself espresso and ate croissants and salami for breakfast with a little yogurt cup on the side. Sat eating it and looking out the window at the crowds below. This is the life. I can handle being sweaty when I'm spending my time reclining in the lap of luxury.

(this is more of a perspective thing than an actual luxury thing, it's just a hiply decorated studio apartment in a fancy-ass neighborhood)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #347 on: July 09, 2016, 01:43:14 am »

In my parents' house growing up it was 100% sealed and air conditioned all day every day and it always kind of bothered me.

This drives me mad. When it's a lovely 72 degrees out and I hear a neighbor's AC cycle on, I want to scream. But when it's a day like today in the 90s and a billion percent humidity, I seriously wonder how people even lived before.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »

We just got back from our week at the beach. Normally if the weather is decent, especially at night, we like to turn off the AC and open the windows. But it was hot and sweaty all week--one night it was actively raining and it was still 82 and humid out. Every time I opened a window, I immediately closed it again. Bleah.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »

Smooth move, inev:

A woman in my program offered to let me stay at her place for the month of August when she will be out of town. She said she had already written off that month's rent and wasn't concerned about it. That seemed a little unfair to me, so I offered to pay half plus utilities.

...and half her rent, plus utilities, is more than my current total rent. So I will be paying ~$500 to sleep in her apartment and store my possessions in my uncle's basement.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:12 pm »

That seems like one of the most Inev things ever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #351 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:42 pm »

It could be more inev if she were offering for me to stay there while she was in town, and then I insisted on paying to sleep on their couch so it wouldn't "be weird"

just keeping the creative juices flowing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #352 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »

As long as I find a job within that month I am happy. Also, the other roommate is my only good friend in NJ, and the apartment is nice and has a great kitchen. That will be fun.

Also over the weekend I may have found the neighborhood I want to live in in Brooklyn if I get an NYC job. It isn't ruined by hipsters yet... the better for me to ruin it. Oops. I promise I won't open a coffee shop or petition for a Whole Foods.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:46:30 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2016, 02:52:43 am »

Wombles, some of these figments you play hella rough.

Dang!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

A guy named Dan who lives in Queens called into my favorite podcast (The Best Show) and said he thinks we should let Pandas go extinct and focus on other animals. Wombat, are you working on a second draft of me!?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:17 pm »

Nah, I wouldn't make you live in Queens. I guess maybe Queens is the new Brooklyn but back in the day it was just not cool and I can't get over it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2016, 10:36:25 pm »

It still seems not that "cool." But parts close to Manhattan are cheaper than equivalent distances in Brooklyn so people are moving there. I went to Woodside/Sunnyside and Jackson Heights on my birthday and nowhere seemed "hip." Jackson Heights is totally nuts and diverse and full of every kind of food, though. And supposedly Ridgewood is hip, being right next to Bushwick.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »

Really surprising: I'm reading The Power Broker and this section was all about how much disdain a lot of the Democratic establishment in New York State had for FDR when he was running for Governor. They thought he was a fancy-##### with no substance, not very smart, not very politically savvy. They agreed on him as the candidate because they wanted someone who would charm upstate Protestants who voted against recent candidates that were NYC-centered and Catholic (Al Smith).
Kind of weird to read when I grew up thinking of him as one of the best presidents.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:34 am »

Oh damn you guys. Philadelphia is the best. Like an enormous St. Louis with more attitude. How do I find a damn job in Philly.

"Move to NYC without a full-time job and just see what works out" is insane, but doing the same in Philly could make sense. Rents there are comparable to central New Jersey. Hmm.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:23:12 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2016, 02:08:58 am »

I don't know if this matters, but Philly sports fans have a reputation as being the absolute worst people in the world.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32   Go Up