Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90112 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #420 on: May 06, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »

Here's an interesting article about an old-school internet community that is still hanging on. Even old-schooler than us.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/05/echo-growing-old-online/524577/

Good article.  Sounds pretty familiar.  Sort of heart-warming, really.  Do we need to make a pact that we'll come hang out at each other's deathbeds?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »

It might be the only way some of us will ever meet each other.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2017, 03:47:20 am »

Ideally we should all meet at Onstad's deathbed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

But what if all the people in those Facebook groups are there too? We might not even be able to find each other in the crowd.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #424 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »

But what if all the people in those Facebook groups are there too? We might not even be able to find each other in the crowd.

They'll all be yelling at Paul, so we can just meet there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #425 on: May 22, 2017, 04:23:58 am »

They'll all be yelling at Paul, so we can just meet there.

I'll be like a beacon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2017, 12:08:48 am »

What is the right way to respond to this?

My friend's BF is involved in the same lefty political club as me, and also does a lot of stuff related to Judaism and social justice (peace between Israel/Palestine, interfaith dialogue, whatever). He constantly sends me email/facebook invites to this stuff... and I am not Jewish. I think it would be very weird for me to show up to these events. Do I just say... dude... I'm not Jewish? Or just keep ignoring the invites?

Now that I think about it, this could be a plot for me to meet some leftist jewish women.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:03:30 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2017, 03:43:52 am »

Now that I think about it, this could be a plot for me to meet some leftist jewish women.

Jewish guys going with non Jewish women is such a common thing they have a name for it. They don't have a word for Jewish women going with non Jewish men*. I wonder why this is?

*I don't know if this is actually true.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #428 on: May 23, 2017, 03:55:35 am »

I don't think they have a word, and it's kind of for a reason-- the tradition is that you are Jewish as long as you come from a Jewish womb. So if a Jewish woman gets with a goyish guy that's kind of fine. But if you're a Jewish dude and you go out chasing shiksas, your kids are NOT JEWISH and it's a SHONDA.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »

If he's interested in interfaith dialogue, how's that going to happen unless he invites people who aren't Jewish?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »

That was a bad example. The things he invites me to are like "JEWS FOR JUSTICE IN PALESTINE"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #431 on: May 28, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »

My best friend is a Jew who's married to a Catholic. Both of his kids are technically Jewish. There's some paperwork involved.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »

If the Y axis is {"people who piss me off" / "all people"}, it would actually mean you're doing better this year.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #433 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:11 pm »

So I am having the... oddest, shall we say, experience with a job I interviewed for.

I got an email from the HR person last week saying she wanted to "touch base." We agreed on a 12.45 Friday call. At 11 am the phone rang and I saw her number so I picked up. She apologized for calling "a little early" but I said if she would just give me a minute, yes I had time to talk. I was in the middle of five things, I had to at least crate the dog and save a file and go upstairs to my office so we could talk quietly. When I got there - I swear it was not more than a minute - she was gone. Assuming we'd been cut off, I called back, but got voicemail. I also emailed to apologize and said I was still available.

No response, so I assumed she was going to call at the previously arranged time, so I made sure I was at my desk at that time. Nothing. I didn't hear anything till an email four hours later where she explained that she'd been working in a conference room which was why she didn't get my call. Which didn't explain why she didn't call again? And she said she would follow up Monday to arrange a time to talk.

It's 2 on Monday now and no word from her.  I don't know how to interpret this. I haven't interviewed for an actual job in so long I don't know what's normal, but this seems strange. If they are calling with an offer, this seems so disorganized at best, it seems like it would not be a good way to convince someone to work for their organization, don't you think? But could she really be calling to tell me no? These days people don't even bother to email to tell you you didn't get the job. In that context, setting up a phone call to tell me I didn't get it - and dragging it out this long - would be a cruel trick, like sending someone a fat envelope with a college rejection.

I am bewildered. I'd really just like to know what's going on so I can get on with my life. I have the email for the editor who interviewed me and will probably follow up with him tomorrow if I don't hear from her, but I am not sure what to say. If she hadn't contacted me I could just say I was wondering if he knew when they would make a decision. But now, I can't just not mention it, but am not sure what to say.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2017, 11:11:11 pm »

OMG. So this is the news she was trying to avoid delivering...  This extremely major media company went through the entire process of interviewing and deciding who they wanted to offer this remote position to, BEFORE checking whether they could legally hire someone who lives in Maryland. Which they can't.

They still want me to freelance for them, which is great, except now I'm back to being on tenterhooks to see what happens with the health care bill and whether I will just have to expect to die of not having health insurance when the Tech Staff retires soon.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Up