Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonbats vs. Medicine  (Read 3341 times)

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Moonbats vs. Medicine
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:41:03 am »

I've been noticing a huge influx of healthfood-mom type beliefs in my social media circles of late, and while I guess it's good that fellas are choosing to eat vegetables and drink goji berry tea or whatever, I am kind of worried by the growing conflation of benign healthy-living dictums with conspiratorial distrust of running water, vaccination, tylenol, &c.

From an ethical standpoint, this kind of thing is confusingly dicey. If these gaia-loons are able to go about their unvaccinated business as is, they're contributing to the weakening of everybody's immunity to diseases that really should have died out by now. Like really——measles is some Dickens shit.

But naturally I would have a hard time telling an in-person dude wearing two tie-dye shirts and tinfoil beanie that his decisions are wrong and harmful. He'll fight back in statements that I can't even interpret enough to even saw "hell naw dog" to.

So. What dealings, if any, have you people had with adherents of this healthfood-conspiracy overlap? If you've ever found yourself in purposive dialogue with a hemp-necklace individual, for instance: how'd that work out for you?

Stories of the moon-bat world's collision with the rest of society are always funny, right?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:02:56 am by ianmalcolm2 »
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moonbats vs. Medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:48:24 am »

It's best to just bite your tongue and not engage.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:25:45 am »

I think probably no one ever changed anyone's mind on a subject like this via a Facebook argument. Or at least such a small percentage that the odds are stacked so hugely against you that it's not worth spending your limited time on earth trying.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:19:18 am »

... it's not worth spending your limited time on earth trying.
Seconded.
I have a particularly bizarre such case in my circle. A woman who got a bachelors in biology and a masters in synthetic chemistry quit the company to have a baby, then opened an Organic nostrums store ( which failed after 3 yrs of business). Her feed is full of astrological nonsense and Big Pharma / megacorp conspiracy theories.  I only pipe up when one of her cronies starts praising Jenny McCarthy or giving dangerous anti-vax advice. I'm particularly well informed on that, but shooting down the same bad ideas over and over gets tiresome.  I read somewhere that one of the differences between science and pseudo-science is that science learns and progresses.  Pseudo-science finds validation in the antiquity of its ideas.  This makes arguing against them a Sisyphean task.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:49 am »

Thanks all.

While I'm normally not one to be a big ol' internet pedant (on facebook no less), the stuff I'm seeing is pretty much the embodiment of the awful Jenny McCarthy-style "natural=goood" anti-vaccination sentiment. And the positive feedback this stuff is getting, it still nags at my conscience because it's these kinds of ideas, spread virally over the internet, that KILL PEOPLE!

Here's the article I'm seeing passed around the most. It's baffling that people will read this new age schlock, act upon it with only the best intentions, and in doing so, probably wind up killing actual people.

Reading it, and the comments section below, I just get this crushing sense of futility. Facts and science mean nothing to these people, making them impossible to ever really convince. I want to engage them, but throwing PubMed studies at somebody who believes that the pineal gland is a magic forehead eyeball just makes both parties feel worse. The whole thing seems like it hinges upon this disgusting propagandistic appeal to motherly nurturing.
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:23 am »

This is my go to comment to these people.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

• Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10026
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »

I've found, and it probably took far too long, that unless someone directly asks you for your opinion, they don't really want to hear it. I used to assume that if someone states their opinion about something then they want to engage in a conversation on the subject. Nope. I've realized that most people just want me to agree with them.

It's strange to me, because when I state an opinion it's basically an invitation to discussion. And I have some friends and family who are the same way. But most of the time I find that unless I'm OK with potentially damaging a personal relationship, it's best to keep my mouth shut. I'm not always good at this but I try.

And like wombat said, it's most likely not going to make a difference anyway.
I was decaying inside from postponed consequences. - Walter Kirn

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »

This is a good book for people who think that the facts matter, to help understand people that aren't like us.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Be-Such-Scientist-Substance/dp/1597265632/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I'm not sure I've been able to put any of it into practice, but it made a lot of sense.

(I think the reviews that say it's too autobiographical interestingly miss the point that he's writing the book in a way that exemplifies what he's arguing for.)

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 473
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:19 pm »

On the other hand, our thanksgiving argument was my brother demanding that we ADMIT that the science shows men are better at math. Did not understand why this made my sister and mother enraged, and my dad and I shake our heads and leave the room.

In the crowds I run in I am more often on the side of "anti-science" because I am more often hearing bullshit "science" facts. Statistics out of context are not science, that takedown of global warming you read is not science, proposing fancy technologies to solve every problem is not "more scientific."
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »

tylenol, &c.

FWIW, this one is very true.  A little too much Tylenol, especially when combined with alcohol, WILL destroy your liver. 
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »

FWIW, this one is very true.  A little too much Tylenol, especially when combined with alcohol, WILL destroy your liver. 

We warned about this by mom-types all through playing sports. That didn't stop any of us from washing down handfuls of tylenol and Ultram/Tramadol with beer after any injuring game. I understand that it is very easy to overdose on tylenol, but the maximum daily dose is 3-4,000mg. You'd have to take 10 extra strength tylenols to hit that threshold.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »

Oh yeah, acetaminophen is hell on the liver if overused, but that's practically written on the packaging. However, there's no data anywhere to support that it could cause autism or whatever chi-imbalance shit that moonbat moms claim.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1306
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

I think the concept of "herd immunity" is important to try to get them to understand. I read an article recently (and unfortunately I can't find it now) by someone who came down with whooping cough, and blames it on anti-vaxxers.

But yeah, it's tough. These people WANT to believe that they're fighting the good fight, and even when presented with evidence to the contrary it's well nigh impossible to get them to understand it.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »

Oh yeah, acetaminophen is hell on the liver if overused, but that's practically written on the packaging. However, there's no data anywhere to support that it could cause autism

They really say this?

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 473
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

oh my god I just read something along these lines that made me so mad that I can't even think. I can't even function and have a normal day while this idiocy is percolating around my brain.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up