wombat, I am interested in your opinion. But you are expressing it too reasonably for me to know how to respond to it. It is definitely making me question whether part of the problem is my own reading of the characters, since you are both a woman and a person whose opinions about writing I trust. Deja don't read that previous sentence.
No, I do actually know what a thought experiment is. You are incorrect. You wrote a paragraph explaining why his thought experiment would not occur in real life. A thought experiment is
imaginary. Colmore's suggestion is this: if roles were reversed, would you still have the same opinion? I don't see anything insane or unreasonable or worth condescending to about that. If, instead, this state of affairs were to happen suddenly (maybe a secret cabal of hyperfeminists take over all media), do you think most people would be upset and think this was unfair? If it helps you use your imagination, you can think about how blood-shitting mad society gets about women achieving equality in some spheres, and how even in our tilted-towards-men society people like Men's Rights Activists exist because they are so threatened by the progress of women.
Again, typed very slowly: A peripheral character (i.e., by definition not as fully formed) doesn't have to be badly written.
Yes, they don't have to be, but they are. The things I said about misogyny and (muffins?) are
germane because creating female character after female character who is a misogynist shortcut does not seem like lovingly devoting time to each and every character. Maybe this is my own failing and I am not seeing the brilliance of "mean welsh lady who says a correct thing one time" or "punk chick who likes Teodor" or "witty stripper lady who likes cornelius." You keep pointing out that they are peripheral characters, but I think that is part and parcel of the issue. How many male protagonists do we have? Beef, Pat, Ray, Teodor, Cornelius, Phillippe, Lyle. Maybe Todd, Nice Pete, Liebot, and Vlad as something in between, as they have definitely had their own little plotlines (***** plotlines, murder plotlines, whatever) that are sometimes independent of the big guys. The male characters are developed, and each have at the very least their function/niche-- Liebot is a tricky guy, Vlad's joke is that he is a ***** who acts like The Love Guru or whatever the appropriate reference is, Nice Pete kills people. What is Molly's "function" in the story? Or Polly's? Penny's? Onstad only brings in a female character when he needs a love interest or a mom. When, for instance, he introduces Rod Huggins, Rod has a series of storylines as the funny gay porn guy before he becomes Pat's love interest. The ladies only appear when it's time for one of the male characters to get lucky/get loved. Unfortunately to act as a foil for RB's depression and anxiety and feeling bad about himself, Molly has to be so, so, so boring. Her whole character is "too good for beef, so perfect, and sometimes she gets mad or upset but oh boy does he deserve it."
And I guess I must be
real bad at reading, because I am looking at that paragraph again, and you said the words Art and Artist about twice per sentence. Including talking about Art as an organic whole, and referring to the (film) artist Tartovsky. You even mentioned people not understanding what "Art is and what it exists for (your capitals)." So what am I misreading there?