Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014  (Read 8535 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 05:06:08 am »

When you're his age you're gonna wish you were dating a stripper.

As someone who's done this a few times, when you're his age you're going to be sick and tired of the reality that is the drama and the multiple cats.

P.S.: Thread title should have been "I'm an unfunded hapless nuisance!"
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 07:44:09 am »

The reason why "I'm an unfunded public nuisance" and "911 ONLY NON-PAYMENT" aren't titles is because they've already been reserved as competition for my epitaph.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:36 am »

Whoa whoa folks what about Lyle's beautiful return to form here?

i have been honoring my shits lately. They have much honor.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 03:47:57 am »

Are you squatting mindfully?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

Such fulla mind the like of which never been seen
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

Agingbuffoon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 10:10:12 pm »

I was so afraid that Onstadt would end this story line after last week. So glad he didn't take the easy way out.
Logged
"Arf," she said.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 01:28:44 pm »

I'm surprised there's been not talk of Zeppelin on this thread.

My verdict: good but a bit overrated.  And they were kind of thieves, even Elvis credited his covers.  But still, I can't love the White Stripes as much as I do and entirely look down my nose at Zeppelin.  And "Communication Breakdown" provided a blueprint for all those 70s punk bands I like.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:56 pm »

I'm surprised there's been not talk of Zeppelin on this thread.

I just considered the source of the comment. How could someone who wears a Ramones arm band possibly comprehend Led Zeppelin?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:44 pm »

The Ramones were all about early Zep.  They said so in interviews.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »

people can like a band that is very different from another band they also enjoy
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:18 pm »

You guys are trolling me, right?

The Ramones were all about early Zep.  They said so in interviews.

Has the conventional wisdom been lost that in it's original form punk rock, with the Ramones at the vanguard, was a refutation of the bloated excesses of the then current rock scene of bands playing 20 minutes songs and half hour drum solos, Led Zeppelin being one of the worst offenders and definitely the most famous?

people can like a band that is very different from another band they also enjoy

Maybe I misread the strip, but I got the impression that Penny doesn't care too much for Led Zeppelin and she clearly loves the Ramones.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »

Zeppelin I and II were pretty tight.  Those are probably the good parts she's talking about.  I also think that critics viewing punk as a (negative) reaction to 70s excess and what the actual musicians thought could be different things, especially if we're including all of the bands that in the late 70s were called punk but don't fit in too well with what the genre became in 80s.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 06:15:54 pm »

I dunno about the idea of the beginnings of new artistic movements growing out of grand refutations of previous movements, like, ever.

Ladies and dudes wanna entertain or they wanna make art or they wanna vent spleens and they do that and only later do college professors and assholes at "Rolling Stone" construct high-minded confections of hindsight.

Theorists love saying that kinda thing but I doubt that it was such a thing in the conscious minds of early punk rockers.

Garage rock was dudes wanting to make music without having much training at first, wanting to jump right in and figure it out as they went along, and punk was just a more urban permutation of that impulse, you know?

I kind of doubt that motherfuckers just wanting to go to a bar and scream out their frustrations with the three chords they'd figured out so far were working on thesis critiques about their actions. They wanted to get loud and get laid, you know?

Though, of course, never let it be forgotten that the Sex Pistols were molded together by a fashion designer in a manner surprisingly similar to how boy-bands are formed today.

Projecting purity of thought onto the past is always a dangerous dance.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »

It's like your saying the punk rock movement never happened. That their back to basics ethos was pure happenstance. That it's rise to popularity was in no way related to the state of popular music at the time. That kids picking up their instruments and forming bands never had to fight against the prevailing norms. That most of the so called bloated rock groups didn't fall by the wayside because the kids stopped buying their albums. And those that survived didn't change their sound drastically. None of that shit actually happened, it was just folderal invented by academics .

Hate to be a geezer, but I was a teenager during that era and I remember it. I lived it maaaaaan!  

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 07:42:32 pm »

LFM I don't see how this is a complicated academic theory laid on top of reality, and I know a little bit about complicated academic theories laid on top of reality, you know? It's people going "this music sucks, we need to make better music" and then it's normal for the music they think is better to be as different as they can make if from the music that they think sucks. That just seems like the normal way human minds work.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up