On the whole we could probably debate whether Facebook is a good or bad thing all freaking day. But in particular, I have had this thought of late: my high school class has a very active page, and about 80% of what's posted there is prayer requests. We're of a certain age where our parents are dying, and some of us are having health problems of our own. So seemingly every day it's "Please pray for Lurleen, whose mother is in the ICU and may not make it," or "Please pray for Leanne, whose husband was just diagnosed with liver cancer." It's depressing as all get out.
(The prayer thing is its own issue. Not to open a religious can o' worms, but that strikes me as something that lets people feel like they're doing something in a situation where the obviously can't help in any way.)
For my closest friends, I would definitely want to know what's up with them and their families. But for a great many of these high school people, I can't help but wonder if the psychological burden I get from knowing everyone's misfortunes is worth it. I don't get much out of "connecting" with them, certainly not on a day to day basis. And my knowing that Leanne's husband has liver cancer doesn't do me any good, doesn't do them any good really, so why go there?
Is that heartless of me? Perhaps. But there is plenty of sadness in this world and it can pull you down if you spend too much time thinking about it.