Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162238 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2015, 04:12:14 am »

"Wombats For President."

Of course we'll need to see a photo of this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »

I'm all for recitals, and end-of-year-parties and whatnot, but Graduation to me implies 1) a change of location is impending, 2) a certificate worth something is conferred, and perhaps related, 3) a degree of accomplishment other than showing up and taking up space is required.

QFT. #1 is kind of there, if you want to call moving from elementary school to middle school a change of location. #2, no. #3, not really.

To a fair degree, I think the elementary school graduation is more for the parents than the kids. Look how awesome your kids are! Aren't you proud!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2015, 05:07:01 pm »

Look how awesome your kids are! Aren't you proud!
I'm proud of my kid when he throws a ball in the right direction, or puts his shoes on the right feet.  I have a low bar when it comes to parental pride.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »


My daughter's read "Wombats For President."

Why more than one?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »

Why more than one?

That I don't know. I am glad that she chose to embrace her role in the school play, though. At first she was like "People are going to laugh at me!" and eventually she figured out that was the point. Her role was comic relief, and she had more and better laugh lines than anyone else in the play (not to mention her character is the only one of the super-heroes who escapes the villain's initial attack, by burrowing to safety). I told her, "Anyone who chooses to laugh at you personally because of what happens to your character in the play is a damn idiot who is not worthy of your time or attention."

I usta think they tuned that stuff out but then I started seeing the oldest boy operating on some of those and I realized that they hear you, they'll just be double-dutched if they'll let you know it mattered to them.

I suspect (and hope) you are correct. I have to remind myself: she's 12. Everyone's pretty dumb when they're 12. I sure was. She's got time to improve.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:53 am »

Elementary School graduation is an offshoot of the we must constantly encourage the kids school of thought that rose up in the 80s. It's the same mentality that brought us everybody gets a trophy and soccer where they don't keep score. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »

The kids are all right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2015, 07:33:16 pm »

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2015, 01:03:08 am »

A great thing about having been a weird and picky kid is that now I get to try foods for the first time that everyone else is jaded about. Over the weekend I ordered a bowl of mushroom risotto and ate it with a good IPA. I'm still thinking about it.

Mushrooms, man. How can they be so good. People of TOUAMB, what are your favorite mushroom-based recipes? What types of mushrooms should I eat? I also recently ate a cheeseburger with a (fried? it was crispy) portobello on top, that was one of the best burgers I've ever had.
I am also into a thing JL mentioned at some point-- making pasta sauce with half a pound of ground beef/pork and half a pound of mushrooms.
Seriously, I am realizing that 3 or 4 of the best meals I have ever eaten have been mushroom-enhanced. Maybe I need to try the magic kind and eat mushrooms ON mushrooms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:36 am »

Mushrooms, man. How can they be so good. People of TOUAMB, what are your favorite mushroom-based recipes?

How can you pick just one. Mushrooms are so good in so many things.

Maybe I need to try the magic kind and eat mushrooms ON mushrooms.

Just an fyi, magic mushrooms are delicious.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2015, 02:26:37 am »

Today, I'm gonna watch this 20 times in a row: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2015, 02:53:19 am »

Today, I'm gonna watch this 20 times in a row: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

I couldn't get all the way through it even once.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2015, 05:10:01 pm »

I have a recipe for asparagus and shiitake mushrooms in a soy sauce/sesame dressing that's really good.

Porcini mushrooms in a pasta sauce, that's-a good right there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:23 pm »

Installed a window AC unit, found out they're (slightly) upping my scholarship for next year, bought a Raspberry Pi, and my sister can (some day) get married in all 50 states. Pretty good day. And I haven't even made dinner yet, that might cross the line into Great Day.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 71   Go Up