Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162137 times)

0 Members and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2015, 03:17:19 pm »

Yesterday I ate empanadas from a cart in Queens that tasted exactly like the ones we ate from a roadside stand in rural Chile when I was 14. It all came rushing back. So freaking delicious.

Then I walked around in the rain for the rest of the day. My whole body kind of hurts. I saw a crowd of people almost get hit by a car, which confirms my distrust of just lunging into the crosswalk as soon as the light changes.

And then I went to a party that a friend of a friend invited me to, which was nice. I met a girl there who I used to chat with on AOL Instant Messenger in 9th grade. Surreal. I knew she was going to be at this party because we are facebook friends, but it was still strange.

I spent the whole party standing awkwardly until I heard a guy telling someone he's a programmer, and then we chatted about programming languages until it was time to go. 2.5 hour trip home was not the most pleasant ever.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:24:35 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 08:41:48 am »

Yesterday I ate empanadas from a cart in Queens that tasted exactly like the ones we ate from a roadside stand in rural Chile when I was 14. It all came rushing back. So freaking delicious.

Wow, awesome!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »

My mom was annoyed that I don't remember the intervening times my grandma has made us empanadas at home. But when my grandma makes them they are baked (not fried) and she puts Weird Traditional Fillings in them. Raisins mixed with meat are involved.

The healthcare saga continues, they keep sending me these bills for urgent care even though I have called 4 times to ask them why they aren't applying my insurance to it. Every time they say "oh OK I'll fix that right away" and then send me another bill.
(and I know this is "one of those things" but $340 to go see a doctor who told me to sleep and drink water? seriously?)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:24:47 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »


Then I walked around in the rain for the rest of the day. My whole body kind of hurts. I saw a crowd of people almost get hit by a car, which confirms my distrust of just lunging into the crosswalk as soon as the light changes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »

Left one of my Sonos speakers outside overnight, in the rain. So, day's off to a good start.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2015, 03:10:39 pm »

Started the day listening to a lady scream and cuss at the bagel guy because she had been waiting too long for her bagel sandwich. Said a silent prayer of thanks that I no longer work in customer service, and that I did it in supposedly a very polite city.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2015, 11:31:56 pm »

My old buddies are playing their second-to-last show with the original lineup tonight. I am debating whether to ask when the last show is, I might be too tempted to do something dumb.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:07 pm »

Left one of my Sonos speakers outside overnight, in the rain. So, day's off to a good start.

Forgot to mention last week: I parked said speaker in front of the dehumidifier for 36 hours, then plugged it back in and it worked. Miracle of miracles.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:28 pm »

Every time I start a new thing there is a battle where one part of me (the big part) is saying "you've really done it this time, dummy-- there's no way you're gonna pull this one off." I am mostly ignoring it, but I definitely spent my first day of work today poking around in the census files trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

The good news is that the work I did do was a re-do of something my predecessor had done (that nobody told me she had done), but she had totally mislabeled her sources and done it wrong. So I came out looking at least competent.

Better news: got my Raspberry Pi running great, I have two memory cards to swap out. One is just a generic linux system to screw around and learn stuff, the other boots right into an emulator for playing SNES and other retro games. Getting rug burn on my elbows from lying on the floor playing games is bringing back major little-kid memories.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:53:22 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

If spending hours doing it was not sufficient nudge that I need to learn to automate this stupid data entry task, I keep realizing/discovering things that mean I need to start over and do it a different way. It does not help that some undergrad intern is "helping" me who seems to be following a different set of instructions that magically appeared, at some point. His argument at this point is that we should tell the boss we can't re-do it the right way because it would take too long. What is that.

Really, what is the deal with your bag taking up a seat. What alien world do these people live on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:53:13 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »

Shoulda sat on it.  And farted.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:21 pm »

Tuesday work news: huge accident makes man late to train station and miss his train except he didn't because the train was cancelled. Man does not go postal, man resigns himself to the fates and catches next (last) train. However, since the train is at double capacity because of cancellation, man has to walk down stuffed train and gently pickup man's backpack from seat and deposit it in owner's lap while asking him if his "piece of shit really needs it's own fuck*ng seat?"

Today you are my hero!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:55 pm »

On my half year check there is 8.71% less of me.

Is that how much your heart weighed?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2015, 02:32:14 am »

Spent 12 hours working today, topped off by an infuriating meeting for residents of NYC public housing. I do not know how you can work full-time at a government agency and never learn how to explain things to the public. This was an entire meeting of people groaning/exploding with rage as bureaucrats used government/legal/planning jargon without explaining what the acronyms mean.

I think I sometimes err too far on the side of assuming people don't know anything, but jeez louise these people were awful. Topped it off by making people fill out comment cards to ask questions, which means most of the crowd felt like their questions were not being answered, so the least pleasant of the crowd started just yelling.

Nobody won. That was a bad meeting. I kind of assume they're all like that, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »

My job at school might turn into Getting Paid to Code. Which would be so cool. At least for next week-- the guy they used to have make little scripts to sort/prune excel files just left for another job. So if I can figure out how to do it, I will be getting paid to practice my python. nice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71   Go Up