Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162020 times)

0 Members and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2015, 02:46:55 am »

Inev I think you are sensible enough that you would have figured that stuff out on your own, but I am very glad to have helped.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:30 pm »

So yes, real life is just like Parks and Recreation.


After 20 years in state government, I feel comfortable in saying that real life is even weirder than P&R.  I really didn't watch much of P&R, good as it is, because it's just too realistic.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2015, 03:41:19 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »

In Houston, if the rich want it, the rich get it. The poor must step aside.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2015, 08:42:59 pm »

That tension is nuts at my job. No matter how pro-egalitarian voters/politicians might be in NYC, market forces there are insane. There is also legislation at the state level that limits what the city can do about certain things, like rent regulation (not to mention conflicting information about whether that kind of policy even works).

It brings me so much happiness that the carnitas recipe I make has become a permanent part of the rotation in multiple branches of my family. And they know this, so they tell me every time they make it. Sure, this is egotistical, I didn't even make up the recipe... but there are worse vices.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2015, 02:38:30 pm »

I started getting weird Tinder messages lately, and I was not sure why. Just checked my profile and at some point I changed it to say "7'8, I have 6 dogs and cats (each). Instagram: Tall_Dog_Haver." I do not remember doing this.

The past few days this thing has been happening where I get home from work and I feel... almost drunk. I eat dinner and operate the rest of the night in slight confusion.

Maybe meatballs with fried cabbage combines to create a psychedelic compound.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2015, 07:28:19 pm »

Sounds like someone left their phone lying around while they were logged into the app and had a funny joke played on them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2015, 11:10:04 pm »

Do you like to pour wine along your peepee?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2015, 02:25:26 am »

I do not know how to say this without it being whiny, but have not had enough social interaction recently that someone could have pulled that off.

Also, "tall_dog_haver" is 100% a joke I would make. I think it is a riff on a twitter thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:48 pm »

I have complained previously about the excess of gift-giving in our extended family at Christmas time. And now it's not just Christmas. My mom brought down the rope hammock she's had since I was a kid, and a stand for it. Which I should be really appreciative of, I know. But it's also another goddamn THING I have to find room for in my house, and I have this big frickin' metal stand in my yard that I have to move around when I mow the lawn.

I just about had a breakdown Saturday, when I was trying to diagnose a plumbing problem, and the amount of goddamned crap that we never use that I had to move in order to look at the pipes. Personally I am going to look into unloading some of my unused crap via eBay or Craigslist, and maybe that'll inspire the missus and/or the kids to do something similar.

But it got me thinking. I would really love to tell the extended fam, "We do not want THINGS as gifts. What would be really great would be, say, a Hilton hotels gift card. So when we want to go to California or wherever, that would help make that happen." Not sure how that would be received.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »

I feel like that is just like asking for money, and there are definitely people who find that offensive. Of course you could say "let's stop exchanging things, the best gift you could give is coming to visit and doing things together" but I get the feeling you'd like that even less.

I feel like this is one of those things where you can't control other people, you can only control your reaction to them. Maybe your best bet is to accept the stuff nicely and then have a yard sale once in a while.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »

If you're feeling less charitable, Craigslist or consigment stores are always an option.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2015, 06:53:13 pm »

For stuff of a more than a nominal value I agree with the EggMan. You get to meet interesting people that way.


There's also really cool stuff in consignment stores, sometimes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:12 am »

my parents do that thing. Way too many presents. It is getting more and more awkward as other family members retire or get old enough that they don't get to say "my mommy got you something." Whenever people try to shift it towards "let's follow x system so there are less presents" it somehow turns into even more presents. My parents are definitely doing it from a loving angle but I don't see how they can not realize how uncomfortable it makes people in the family who make less money than them.

I am trying hard to accept their present-love by coming up with stuff I want that they can buy me for holidays. Aren't I a great son?

I think I inherited the thing where what makes me feel the best is giving. But trying to channel my personal version towards doing rather than buying.


Got a notice from school that I have not paid my tuition for the upcoming year, because for some reason my student loans did not go through. Now I am fiddling around on this government website and it's telling me I have never applied for loans before. That doesn't seem right.

Immediate update: accidentally submitted duplicate loan requests. D'oh.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:15:20 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »

Today I'm gonna sign a book contract. Not the book I wanted to write, or even the same book my co-author and I initially wanted to write together, but it's a book. So I can put off looking for a real job, which was what I said I'd have to do if I didn't sell a book this year.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71   Go Up