Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161785 times)

0 Members and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2015, 03:56:01 pm »

Congrats on not having to apply to jobs!

Today my punishment for complaining about how planners don't know how to talk to the public... is being told my report is illegible to anyone who is not a planner. (Also told to revise it in a way that I can't really do without redoing the research that took me like a month to do... in the next 2 days.)

I don't know if I buy the criticism, though, because as a planner I don't know anything about building permits either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »

Rewrote report with really pulpy newspaper-style sentences. I did not say "New Yorkers are being terrorized... by building permits" but came close.

Favorite tidbit: one developer bought a house across the street from a Department of Building commissioner and drove him to work every day. That's the best bribe I've ever heard of.

Last day working in NYC (until I return for real one day), celebrated with a long lunch. Ate dumplings and drank coke in a park, very satisfying. The $1.25 dumpling place is much better than the $1.00 place, I guess you really do get what you pay for. I think my baseline was low enough that I have eaten more dumplings in the last 3 months than my entire life up to now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2015, 02:50:37 am »

that's pretty cheap dumplings.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2015, 01:04:38 pm »

yup, 8 dumplings and a coke for $3.50 is the good life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2015, 05:57:40 pm »

Yeah, 4 dumplings is plenty, 8 is a lot, and plus a coke is ridiculous. But they are so good and I have limited willpower. I have mostly cut out the soda, but spicy food (like these dumplings once I dip them in sauce) makes me crave it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »

Also both spicy food and sugary things make me feel like I'm going to burp out chunks of my body, so I probably need to cool it with the dumplings.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2015, 12:59:09 pm »

yup, 8 dumplings and a coke for $3.50 is the good life.

When you factor in that it's New York City it's an even better deal. But NYC is weird that way. Everything is ridiculously expensive, but then there are these .99 cent pizza places on nearly every corner.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2015, 08:56:14 pm »

Today in the annals of inev being a psycho:

I had to cancel social plans with a friend and she only responded "dude, boooooo, wtf!" and then did not read/respond to my further facebook messages. Spent all day thinking she was very mad at me and trying to decide whether I was the bad guy here. Turns out... some people just don't check their facebook constantly like I do. "No worries dude see you soon."

Very glad I have at least matured past the point of sending more messages once I start getting anxious about stuff like that. No matter how worried I am, I know that more messages than "I'm sorry, I hope we can reschedule soon." will only make me seem crazy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:06:55 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:56 am »

Goddammit I'm tired of being sick and plus doctor man called me and said they want to do more pictures of a lung because they can't tell if I have the angriest bronchial tube ever or if it's an equally pissed off blood vessel. The latter one would be not good.

You're operating at a very high level for someone who is about to die.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:54 pm »

How's it going with the lung?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:22 am »

Subletter moved out, he was a great roommate all summer but come to find out he busted a window. Apparently he got locked out and didn't want to wake us up, so he pried open the screen somehow and climbed in. So the screen was totally off its tracks and the bottom part (where the little doo-hickeys are that lock it in place) was all bent and wouldn't fit.

It turns out when you are as averse to confrontation as me, it is a great motivator to figure out how to fix something. Some things got bent around and clamped and squeezed and now the window functions.

When you come from a family that gets a little nervous about the idea of changing their own tire, fixing things is very satisfying. It's like I'm some kind of mystical wizard who can save money by understanding what a screwdriver is. (joking here guys, I'm sure someone in my family has changed a tire)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:11 pm »

Good job, dude.

Let me tell you, you never get into a project without having that little "what if I fuck it up" thought. Getting over it and doing a thing is bitchin' so enjoy your "I accomplished a minor thing and feel good about it" moment, because you should. Doing shit...IS...SO...RAD.



A-men!  I've spent the last 30 years gradually tackling bigger and bigger projects, and you never do completely get rid of that "what if I fuck it up" thought.  And in fact, my projects do have some tiny little fuckups that only I notice.  But there's something about doing a job yourself that gives you a certain pride of ownership.  Even little maintenance things or minor repairs.  Going from  "Hey, I can take this apart and fix it," to a working gizmo provides such a satisfying feeling of accomplishment.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:51 pm »

That is really tough for me too.

Update: the dollar dumpling place got shut down due to excessive rats and roaches. Uhhh, what about the $1.25 dumpling place, they're probably fine right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

Are they nearby? Then there are two possibilities: A, they spend that extra .25 on the exterminator, B, they've got all the same rats and roaches and it's just that the inspector hasn't been by lately.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »

Are they nearby? Then there are two possibilities: A, they spend that extra .25 on the exterminator, B, they've got all the same rats and roaches and it's just that the inspector hasn't been by lately.

C, that .25 pays off the inspector.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71   Go Up