Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161831 times)

0 Members and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »

Well, I think the closure was due to a combination of the actual roaches and roach-friendly food storage habits. I guess I do not mind roaches existing in an area, provided the food is not interacting with them. Is that foolish? Do they send disease/ickiness spores through the air?

The restaurants are two blocks apart.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:26 pm »

Ha, Paul is right about option C.

I think roaches have to walk on your food to spread disease, but you can be allergic to them through the air.

I'm having trouble understanding what the internet is telling me about the home range of rats because everyone wants to use measurements like "square meters" instead of sensible ones like "city blocks". But really, it is just a matter of curiosity to me whether they would be the same rats. In practical terms, you are in New York, there are rats everywhere, it's also just a question of whether they are walking on your food or not.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2015, 05:44:27 am »

Went on a nice date with a sassy lady today. She lives right by a state park with a name that is pronounced in a surprising way, after a supposed native name for the area. "Kee- seh - kwah - keh." Wanna guess how that's spelled?

CHEESEQUAKE STATE PARK
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2015, 10:58:07 am »


CHEESEQUAKE STATE PARK

That is awesome! I hope it's not gauche to pronounce it the way it's spelled?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2015, 12:30:05 pm »

I don't care if it's gauche. If it's wrong I don't want to be right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2015, 05:14:52 am »

Today I went to Asbury Park and walked around on the beach and the boardwalk. Ate some ice cream, drank some coffee, stared at some nice old buildings. It has been a while since I have been around so many people in bikinis. And dudes sunbathing, is that a thing? I guess that is literally a Jersey Shore stereotype, very tan muscley men.
For some reason that town is really "punk" in a strange way.

When did it become a thing that "punk" people are into kitschy 50s stuff? Like punk guys with t-shirts with pinup girls on them, women dressing to look like Bettie Page, whatever. It has definitely been going on as long as I have been aware of punk scenes, but like, whyyyyy.

I do not like it.

I also walked far enough down the beach that I got to Ocean Grove, which is an adorable tiny beachside town that is pretty much centered around a giant church. I spent 2 weeks there in middle school and went to Bible school every morning with my friend and his very religious family. It was weird seeing that town again something like 14 years later. That vacation was the first time I hung out someplace where you could walk/bike everywhere you needed to go, and I remember being really impressed by that.

School starts tuesday. And then Friday I am taking the train up and house/cat sitting for my friends who live in NYC, which will be great for Labor Day Weekend.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2015, 01:18:12 pm »

How bout this pile of deep-fried swimming things I had last week.

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:10 pm »

That looks tasty as all get out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2015, 05:35:26 pm »

We like crepe myrtles and have several.  They're pretty tough, cause I keep hitting one with the mower and it's still with us.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2015, 06:16:05 pm »

I am not a fan of the crape myrtle but I learned that the Japanese name means monkey-slip, and the story is that's because the trunk is slippery and monkeys fall down when they try to climb it. Too good to fact-check and I try to think of how amusing that is when I see a garish bright pink one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2015, 07:27:01 pm »

From my experience with the garish pink ones my neighbors on both sides planted in places that shade my flowerbeds, hella fast growing indeed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:06 pm »

Second day of classes, half my classes still haven't posted a syllabus or what books we need to buy. Of the two that did, one informed us the class will only meet every other week.

Meanwhile: Is it possible I have 2 copies of every single song in my iTunes library? Hmmm. I am just imagining an outcome where I delete what I think are duplicates and all my music disappears.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2015, 04:55:29 pm »

Yeah, similar stuff going on here in re: trains. Thankfully my train commuting days are over... until I graduate and commute for the rest of my life.

I am running a script to compare the files in the two folders, and yeah it looks like everything in one folder is a duplicate.

At the same time, I learned that if you go to file>print from a playlist in itunes, it will make you a neat little CD insert with song titles and a mosaic of album art. Cool. Now to figure out how to game it to pick certain album art so that it doesn't put a lady butt on the cover of this cd for my cousin with an uptight mom.

The other computer thing I am struggling with right now: all this time I thought computers were "good at math," and now I learn they can barely handle fractions? I have been trying for many hours to get Python to solve this simple arithmetic problem, and I am having to do it in increasingly convoluted and silly ways because of how tiny inaccuracies get huge when multiplied by huge numbers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »

Ye gods. We just went to a "consumer-driven" health plan, which by my understanding means "you are incentivized to not go to the doctor." Sounds like you have the same plan!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »

I don't care if it's gauche. If it's wrong I don't want to be right.

Church!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71   Go Up