Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162256 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:37 am »

calling hipster residents "urban pioneers"

That analogy is perfect. The crackheads, etc... are the Indians of the neighborhood that need to be fended off and driven away in order to establish a new settlement for the white man.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:12 am »

Quote
That analogy is perfect. The crackheads, etc... are the Indians of the neighborhood that need to be fended off and driven away in order to establish a new settlement for the white man.

And just like the original pioneers, it is incredibly racist.

(it is not racist to move into a poor neighborhood, but it is racist to do it and call yourself a "pioneer.")

(Although I guess if you are using the term "pioneer" to mean someone who is entering a tough place and making it their own while maybe displacing others who were there first, I guess that is... fine)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:35:20 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2015, 10:33:45 pm »

(it is not racist to move into a poor neighborhood, but it is racist to do it and call yourself a "pioneer.")

I assumed the term was being used in a derogatory manner. People are actually self identifying as urban pioneers?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2015, 12:16:12 am »

Yes. And being called that by the newspaper approvingly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:16 am »

On re-reading it seemed like all CW Nevius these days. A google search for "CW Nevius Hate" led to a lot of people talking about what a shit he is. Still, no excuse for giving that kind of stuff a platform.

San Francisco is high on my list of "ugh why does everyone want to live there, I wish fewer people wanted to live there so I could live there."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2015, 05:25:37 am »

Another prof told me to get a PhD. Ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »

Another prof told me to get a PhD. Ugh.

You have to know how to interpret this. It's a compliment, it means they think you are smart and good at this. (Rather than meaning, say, "you'll never make it in the real world.") But their experience of life is so limited that when they want to say something nice about your abilities and how far they think you could go, they can't think of anything else.

So don't take it seriously as actual, like, instructions.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »

This time it kind of was literal. Because the conversation was about how I am not really having a satisfying time at school, except for when I have open-ended research projects where I spend months reading interesting books and then write large papers about the ideas in them. Which is not what urban planners do.

But, again, I realized this summer that I do enjoy actual urban planning. I just don't enjoy some of my classes about it very much, for some reason.

It didn't help that she kept pointing out really cool sounding theory classes I could take in other departments to "see what it would be like."

It was a good meeting overall, though, because I have kind of wondered since I started working for her (this woman is my boss) whether she is disappointed in my work. I guess she is not.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2015, 04:29:26 pm »

Well they always mean it literally. It's just usually bad advice so you should not take it as advice.

To jump from "I like doing research and writing large papers" to "Oh, do a PhD, that's exactly what that is" is basically career counseling malpractice. Did you discuss what kinds of jobs it would open up to you and what it might make you seem overqualified for? Did you discuss the income differential between people with masters degrees and doctorates? Do PhDs in your field get support or would you have to pay tuition? Can you afford to forgo several more years of income?

If you didn't discuss any of this, it's not advice, it's a nice compliment. It's nice that she thinks you are smart and doing good work.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »

And in this particular case, surely it would be better if the people who were making up PhD level theories in urban planning had some experience in planning some actual urbs first.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2015, 05:41:10 pm »

The girls were having a don't-laugh contest last night. It was the oldest's turn to not laugh, and she was doing pretty well. "Ooh, let me try," I said.

I looked her square in the eye and said "FARTS."

Round over.

(Of course, this led to them saying "Farts!" to each other repeatedly on subsequent turns.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:45 pm »

Yeah, definitely not getting a PhD unless I meet lots of people with PhDs doing cool things that are related but not in academia sometime soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2015, 02:26:58 am »

Such is my legacy, apparently.

You could do worse.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2015, 06:34:51 pm »

Worked til 11, then got drunk on rum and cream soda with the non-crazy roommate and watched Sunset Boulevard and ordered a new coffee grinder. Grad school life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2015, 06:03:06 pm »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71   Go Up