Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162075 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:29 am »

Wombat was right. She was surprised that I took this as a sign she did not like my work. She sees the new tasks assigned to people as an addition to the current project, and wasn't sure why not mentioning any of my work made me think that it was not going to continue.

(At least one coworker also thought this was a "Dan is doing a bad job" meeting, so it isn't just me.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2015, 05:55:00 am »

Had a very weird date experience.

So yesterday I went on a date with this primate biologist. She is smart as hell and funny. That was nice. We talked about central american monkeys.


And then today I got drinks with this other woman who was just... perfectly normal. cute. nice. Really good conversation, we were giggling because the booth behind us had two women who were talking about anal sex REALLY LOUDLY.

But at some point maybe an hour in I had this super bojack-y moment. "If I dated this woman, I would not make her happy." I could not recover from that. She was just too flipping genuine and sweet. Ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:47 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2015, 10:12:25 pm »

I told the biologist lady about the smart new guy at work, and how he has been grumpy because the boss told him he needs to integrate my work into his rather than the other way around.
She responded with a text that said "suck it, wunderkind."

Ding ding ding we have a winner.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:47 am »

Does this mean we'll get to hear more about central American monkeys?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2015, 02:25:05 am »

If I have something to say about it, yes I think so.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2015, 01:48:00 am »

Week between Xmas and New Years. Conveniently, Saturday to Saturday. Taking the week off.

Should we go to the beach, or stay home and do some day trips (into DC, up to Hershey Park for their Christmas stuff, hike in a state park, etc.)?

I seriously can't make up my mind. Going to the beach in the off-season would be a good excuse to sit around a beach house and do very little. It might be kind of weird, though, and I think the kids might get bored.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2015, 03:59:58 pm »

Whoa, that is creepy.

I think if I saw a thing like that I'd assume it was police or something. Because wouldn't a criminal be more discreet? But that just shows my concept of criminals with guns is clearly way out of date.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »

What it is, is the saddest thing.

I guess at least it doesn't really impact your quality of life negatively that you're not hanging out near trash cans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:47 pm »

Done with my 3rd semester. One more to go.

Just like last year, the first day after I woke up early raring to go. It feels weird not to have anything to work on, so I made a stack of all the books I own that I haven't read and started on the one on top.

(well, OK, I put the one I wanted to read the most on top.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2015, 07:32:32 pm »

Damn.

Ever since I did a 2-week round of prilosec I can eat a single cookie or a moderately spicy curry meal without repercussions. This is how man was meant to live.

Also might have a hookup with a cool job in a large city in NJ for the spring. A classmate recommended me to his boss when his time was up (graduating early). So that was a nice compliment paired with some potential resume boosting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2015, 07:52:54 pm »

Most desserts & pastries leave me feeling vaguely nauseous.  I like the occasional treat, but frankly I'd rather take in my discretionary calories as beer or other booze.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #252 on: December 20, 2015, 06:30:38 am »

The thing I always dread finally happened: met a very nice girl at a party, talked for hours, at some point I casually kind of brushed her arm and she recoiled like I had revealed myself as the Ultimate Creep, made an awful face, and walked away. At that point I decided it was time to sleep in my own bed and left the party without speaking to anyone, rode home all the way to Jersey in silence.

I tend to think she got the worse end of the deal, is what feels bad about it.

Luckily she is a friend of a friend of a friend. Not someone I will ever see again.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:49:51 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #253 on: January 01, 2016, 11:31:07 am »

When a freight train is connected to a line of cars, there is a little "give" in each connection. Just that inch or so that means that when the engine starts, it is only pulling itself for a brief moment, and then only pulling itself and one freight car, and then only itself and two, etc.

The same is true of braking. When the engine hits the brakes, it is only braking itself for a second, and then only itself and the car directly behind it, and so on. There is that tiny interval of time before the crushing weight of the entire train is hitting the engine.

What probably does not happen in real life is that the engineer applies the brakes, expecting that crushing moment, and instead just comes to a stop instantaneously. The freight got lost somewhere. Nothing is coming.

I am losing the metaphor but I guess the conductor might wake up a few hours later shaking in bed. Maybe you do not always know what you are hauling but it's disorienting to find it was nothing.

(I am consistently bad at imagining how much rejection will crush me. I am not sure why I imagined I would quickly be fine with getting rejected by my dearest friend. I wish I had said even one of the ridiculous things I had been turning over in my head for months, but I guess "I am deeply in love with you" got the job done.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #254 on: January 01, 2016, 12:10:17 pm »

(I am consistently bad at imagining how much rejection will crush me. I am not sure why I imagined I would quickly be fine with getting rejected by my dearest friend. I wish I had said even one of the ridiculous things I had been turning over in my head for months, but I guess "I am deeply in love with you" got the job done.)

Oh dear...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71   Go Up