Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162042 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2016, 10:54:54 pm »

I know that it is probably a pain in the ass, but figuring that kind of stuff out sounds like fun to me. I have said this before but lately I think I need a hobby where I build or fix things.

Just got an email about one of my classes being cancelled, and it's in a weird niche of graduation requirements where the pickings are slim. Hmm.

Also: was about to declare that this is my year of No More Online Dating and suddenly several cute ladies are interested in me at once.
One, though, said "this might be really weird, but would you be interested in going to a tour of philadelphia architectural history?"
Promising.

(Finally: interview this week for a cool internship for the spring, which is exciting)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:41 am »

I admire folks with technical knowledge. I can work wood and metal, but electricity is beyond me.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:42 am »

I know that it is probably a pain in the ass, but figuring that kind of stuff out sounds like fun to me.

You say that like they're mutually exclusive...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:21 am »

I admire folks with technical knowledge. I can work wood and metal, but electricity is beyond me.

The actual work isn't hard.  Knowing which wire to connect where can get a little complex, but doing the connecting isn't so bad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:58 pm »

Hypothetical: suppose a big frickin' snowstorm is forecast for your town in a few days. A foot of snow or more. (Integral to this situation: you hate snow and being cold.)

Then let's suppose you had the opportunity to go to Florida for a week on the cheap. Would you get the fuck out of there before the snow starts falling, hopefully returning to clear streets and a somewhat normal life? Or would you want to stay home to make sure a tree doesn't fall on your house and your roof doesn't cave in (not to mention the possibility of being stuck longer in Florida if your home airport is closed due to snow)?

(Sadly, this is strictly a hypothetical. The big snowstorm part is real enough. I was looking at a last-minute airfares app yesterday and they had Orlando for $200 for a week's trip, leaving that night. This being a slow time down there, hotels can be had on the cheap. Work and school obligations, plus other financial issues, mean I can't actually pull it off. But it's nice to dream.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

Yes, would definitely do that if it were possible. Especially since the Technical Staff thinks it's a brilliant idea to go on his planned ski vacation and leave me to face this alone. At least he's agreeing to leave early so I don't also have to worry about him driving through the storm. Small favors.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2016, 08:08:27 pm »

Hell yes I'd go!  And leave the two twenty-somethings here to watch the dogs and the house.  Oh hells yes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »

Our school unexpectedly cancelled TODAY--we got less than an inch of snow last night, but no one was prepared for it and the roads were a freakin' mess overnight. So the last-minute Florida thing in all likelihood would have required ONE day out of school. Argh.

Of course, there's the matter of a) work people being furious at me for walking out on a major deliverable, and b) impending braces and other stuff meaning I probably shouldn't dump $3K on an impromptu vacation. BUT STILL, argh.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

It's nice to dream though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »

I'm really panicking about this now. They've got me convinced that I might die even if I stay in my house with food and a backup generator.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

I picked the wrong field, am I really going to have to wear a suit regularly for maybe 40-something years?

I guess there are probably some efficiencies of scale but right now every time I wear one it's a nightmare of "oh man, why don't these ##### fit me?" and "why won't this crease iron out? oh god, did I just burn the shirt? what's that spot??"

This time: the hemming on one pantleg came undone so the leg is trailing like I've shrunk a few inches on that side. This is going to be some delicate safety pin work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:08:00 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:58 pm »

It gets easier. 

In my experience, if you're working in a government enviroment, suits aren't expected on a daily basis.  It's been a while since I've been required to even wear a tie on a daily basis if I'm not meeting with the public or going to court.  But even when I was wearing a tie and dress ##### daily, you get in a routine.  Interchangability is key.  White shirts, blue shirts, grey dress #####, navy dress #####, few decent sportcoats and you're good.

Want my #1 ironing tip?

Iron your shirts inside out.  That way even if you mess up a little or get some iron residue on your shirt, it's not visible. 

Also, it's a lot easier to be a 100% Cotton shirt devotee when you aren't the one ironing the motherfuckers.  My tolerance for a little bit of polyester jumped way up when I started doing my own ironing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2016, 05:06:31 pm »

Jos A Bank Traveler dress shirts FTW.

Agree with AW that you get used to it. In fact, when I first started at this job, and found out the dress code was business casual as long as you didn't have client or executive meetings, a colleague and I introduced "Formal Mondays." We would wear a shirt and tie on Mondays whether we needed to or not. Got all these ties, gotta wear 'em sometime. I still do that some weeks, depending on my mood.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »

I like that idea, and might have to adopt it on top of Hawaiian Shirt Fridays, which is my usual thing.  Complicating this somewhat is the very slim pickings of my formal wardrobe.  Tuxedo-or-Funereal Mondays would doubtless cause some confusion here.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2016, 12:08:36 am »

Damn, this is like a funny practical joke:

"oh no, we meant to mention in the email that we never dress up around here unless we have to! Sorry!"

Afterwards went and got an indian-food-filled grilled cheese sandwich in Jersey City. 3 slices of bread, shredded chicken tikka in one layer and gooey cheese in the other.  That seems like my kinda town. Cheap rent and good food in every direction.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71   Go Up