Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162079 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2016, 12:52:56 am »

I am beginning to think that Inev loves all the cities.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:53 am »

Not to badmouth my favorite city, but when your antecedents are Charlotte NC and St Louis MO anything with grit AND jobs seems pretty amazing.

But yeah, I am charmed by all kinds of cities, as long as they have nice old buildings. Also, hearing that I could pay around half of Brooklyn rent and still be a 3 dollar, 15-20 minute train ride from Manhattan is pretty appealing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #287 on: January 23, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »

You can't fool me, you loved St Louis too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #288 on: January 23, 2016, 05:48:46 pm »

I do, but I think I will focus on cities that are close to lots of jobs for the foreseeable future.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2016, 11:23:09 pm »

Yeah, I think the key part was the available jobs part.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:44 pm »

You can complain about it being cold in our house, I guess.
You can say you want to save money and that we should turn the heat down, I guess.

But doing both... I don't think you can do both.

(can you not do anything to fix your roommate troubles, and then complain about your roomate complaining? uh oh. I may have backed myself into a corner on this one.)

Also important: putting insulation up on the windows will save us money on heat. But it won't make the house "warmer" if the thermostat is still set to the same temperature.

I am in a class this semester with a professor I had last year. He is mis-remembering who I am in a really specific way. I guess I can't 100% attribute this to my appearance or demographics or whatever, but people in my program are very consistent about assuming I am a quantitative/data person. This has also come up in job interviews.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:07:53 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2016, 03:51:07 am »

got that (unpaid) job through the spring with my safety-pinned suit #####. Yes!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »


I keep thinking of posting something about how I'm too overwhelmed to have anything interesting to post lately but am thankful at least that the board hasn't crashed. But that would jinx it, wouldn't it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:59 am »

This should not be surprising, but I am realizing St Louis architecture/interior design (?) is deep in my brain now. I am looking at apartments in other cities where I might want to look for jobs, and they all just strike me as truly UGLY. Even the cities that people I know call "cute" are full of  seemingly nothing but ugly apartments that cost 2-3 times what St Louis apartments do.

Or I can live in Brooklyn, and pay 4-5 times as much for a tiny shared apartment. Brutal.

All of my friends in New York live in apartments that I think are cute, so either I'm looking at the wrong websites or they are paying way more than I think. Maybe both.

My sense is that my program has a good reputation in the northeast and is less known elsewhere, so right now I'm looking at Philly, New York, and Pittsburgh. And then cities I have friends in-- Baltimore, St Louis, Chicago.

OK, Philly has some pretty good apartments.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:14:07 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »

I vote for Baltimore!

For the love of God don't move to Brooklyn. This whole Brooklyn business needs to, like, deescalate. It was so nice when Brooklyn was just a normal place.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »

Oh, I left out part of this calculation: New York is the only city where I have seen ANY urban planning job listings relevant to my interests or skills.

Is it better or worse if I move to Queens?

I don't think Brooklyn is deescalating anytime soon. Brace yourself, I might live there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:29:46 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2016, 05:26:32 pm »

I get the idea that  Queens is already the next Brooklyn. How's the Bronx doing these days? Still unfashionable? Or be really radical - how about Staten Island?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »

I thought living in the Bronx should obviously come next until I took the subway to the top of Inwood from downtown. So. Slow. I may have taken a silly route, but still. I have not yet set foot in the Bronx, that should change soon.

I am also pretty interested in Jersey City. But it seems like rents there are going nuts, too.

And OOH, I forgot Nashville! Added.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:15:07 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2016, 10:11:18 pm »

This lady I had a crush on in college just sent me a really silly chain email. I guess it's flattering that I was one of the first 10 people she thought of, even though I have only seen her three times in the last 7 years?

Or maybe she has become a recluse and has not made any new friends.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 71   Go Up