Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162079 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2016, 04:37:29 am »

Somehow my mom has hidden until just now that she has been hoping I will move back to North Carolina eventually. Sorry, mom.

Poor mama, she misses her boy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2016, 09:51:30 pm »

Today my boss sent us a panicky email saying she thinks we are going to run out of money before the project is done. At this point it is insane to me that I've been working for her for 9 months with this little to show for it. This current work (making a slideshow summarizing our findings) is... something I could have done alone in a week or two, I think. But the problems of deciding everything practically by committee and people undoing each others' work (oh, why did Dan make everything size 14 font? I'd better make it 12 again) it has been weeks and weeks of 4 people doing it.

She has explained herself multiple times, but I cannot figure out why we have spent weeks going back and forth about layout changes, instead of making sure all of the content is right and then having 1 person do the formatting for all of it at once.

The good news is: when I mention her name to people at job interviews they know who she is and they are impressed.

So apparently the working strategy of "keep starting over from scratch every few months" eventually results in good work. Maybe.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

Gotta love an e-mail about a work event that says "we look forward to see you there!"

Sent by the same person who previously e-mailed me that the event was "Tuesday, April 5." (4/5 being a Wednesday on my calendar.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2016, 06:46:40 pm »

ALSO, not wearing green today, any input on my style decision will result in my "Fuck The Dirty Irish Global Conspiracy To Make Green OK" spiel.

Meanwhile, one of my asshole Facebook friends proudly posted about how he's wearing orange today.

St. Patrick's Day is one of those strange holidays where the only winning move is not to play.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2016, 07:01:43 pm »

You might wanna check your calendar, Mayor.

Herpy derp. The original e-mail said "Tuesday, April 6." SHE FUCKED UP NOT ME DAMMIT
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #320 on: March 17, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »

A peripheral FB friend posted the banana-kiwi hybrid video, apparently in earnest. If it was a closer friend who I interact with regularly I would drop the Snopes link right away. For someone I rarely interact with, it seems dickish. I dunno.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2016, 01:11:59 am »

I love St. Patrick's Day, but I celebrate an old fashioned version of it which involves wearing green and saying Faith n' Begorah to everyone. Also playfully pinching anyone not wearing green. I'm not one of those get drunk at 7 am types.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2016, 08:37:01 am »

I'm not one of those get drunk at 7 am types.

Luckily I had an excuse this Thursday.  (There is a joke here but that's the best I can do)

I did have a beer and drive around listening to the pogues, but I legit didn't know it was st paddys.  Then my neighbor texted me and I realized it was.  Then I felt good about my decisions.

Then I listened to another pogues record when my roommates got home.  Rum, Sodomy and the Lash is so fuck*ng good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

I didn't even listen to any Irish music today. I'm failing at being Irish.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

I was laughing at myself for having the thought, "I've been listening to Dropkick Murphy's for the past 3 months and now everyone's bandwagoning".  To be clear, I've been listening to them far longer than that, but I've been on a jag recently, fueled by radio apps that take an artist you like and find "similar artists" and play their songs too.  No one else really sounds like the Murphys though.

n.b. My mother's maiden name is Murphy.  And the Wallaces I come from are from Northern Ireland.  And Robert Wallace married Margaret Linehan.  And my mom's red hair came from the Jacobsen side of her family (from Norway).  And the Vikings spend 600 years pillaging/marrying/settling Ireland.  And bringing red hair to the Emerald Isle. 
I married an American mutt, though.  Whose grandmother was a Moran. And has an ancestor named Linehan - which seems like an interesting genealogical puzzle to pursue someday.

Anyway, I like St. Paddy's day.  Had some Bushmill's with my wife to celebrate.  And then boned.
bone..bone...bone
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:24:55 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »

The parts I know of my dad's family are Irish. The ones I get my name from were snobby English people though.

I hate the hell out of that whole "irish + punk" scene. I can't put my finger on why.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »

The parts I know of my dad's family are Irish. The ones I get my name from were snobby English people though.

I hate the hell out of that whole "irish + punk" scene. I can't put my finger on why.

Cause they aren't really Irish or punk?  The pogues are the exception that proves the rule and also dicks for starting it?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

No, no!  The musical styles complement each other really well..especially when they're self aware enough to pull in some Country riffs (on account of Scots/Irish Appalachia).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2016, 09:05:25 pm »

I guess for me it is the stuff I like the least about punk combined with the stuff I like the least about folk. I feel the same way about Uncle Tupelo.

(what i'm listening to is leaking)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:10 pm »

warning Wombat: the NYC housing & vacancy survey (which I'm analyzing at work) found some white people paying $3,500 a month for an apartment in the Bronx near the zoo.

...might be some kind of insane error though, almost zero people they surveyed in the Bronx are paying over $2,000. And mostly way below that.

It's interesting, the number of neighborhoods that are meeting my (informal) criteria for "gentrifying" is pretty small. But in those neighborhoods it's pretty stark. In the northern part of Crown Heights 50% of white renter households pay more than $2,000 a month... and pretty much zero percent of non-white renters.

(this could also be an effect of their "neighborhood areas" being too large. I bet a lot more white people are renting closer to the park, where it's more expensive.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:33:45 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71   Go Up