I would be interested to see a map of how far away keepers at the Bronx Zoo have to live to find apartments on their salaries.
You know I couldn't let this slide.
A "Provisional Wild Animal Keeper" at the Bronx Zoo starts at $37k.
This is above the median income in the census tracts that are the lightest color in this map (not the white ones, the lightest yellow that is most of the south Bronx-- the white means "insufficient data"), and about the same as the median income in the orangey ones to the east of the zoo/botanical gardens.

So it looks like they can live pretty close to work. The census publishes average rent numbers but they don't work on the handy dandy internet mapping tool. So I just went with median income. The median household income in Bronx County as a whole is $34,284.
I can make you a fancy version of this with a title that says "neighborhoods where a provisional wild animal keeper at the bronx zoo can afford to live" when I'm at the computer lab.
Whoa, what!? The little corner of the Bronx above Inwood (Spuyten Duyvil?) has a median income of $100,000.
There are a few tracts in Brooklyn where it says the median household income is $11,000!? Insane. East Flatbush is some serious shit.
And to put that in perspective, several of the tracts surrounding my old job were around $10,000 too. Yikes.
(This internship is making me think I picked the right profession. Although I would like to go to more community meetings and spend less time clicking the computer c*ck. Also... I spent 8 hours making maps like this today but just made another one for fun.)