Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161810 times)

0 Members and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2016, 06:56:48 pm »

I have met 4 of you, but only 1 who still posts-- AugustWest.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2016, 11:32:58 pm »

I was going to say maybe you should stop meeting people, it's obviously bad for the board... but if you got linnea to post for the first time in three years, now I'm not sure what the score is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2016, 03:57:44 pm »

Paul, I'ma grow some serious ass 'maters.

I'm coming over.

Inev, no selfie?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »

The little corner store by my house in St Louis got bought by the city and closed. Nobody in the neighborhood could give me a reason why the city should spend its money buying and closing a business. I did hear a lot of unsavory rumors about the building, though-- it was pretty enormous and only a small corner was open to the public.

The current frontrunner among replacement proposals is to turn it into a "Wedding Venue" called "Wild Carrot."

Meanwhile, a nearby abandoned gas station is being renovated into a coffee shop called the "Fiddlehead Fern Cafe."

I guess gentrification is real.



I do not know where our selfie is. Jough took it with his phone. Also, tried to convince me we should stand there and wait until a cute girl walked by and ask her to take it. I did not go for that plan.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #394 on: April 18, 2016, 05:44:06 pm »

I remember using one of those post-hole diggers with my dad many years ago. Primarily, I remember the auger getting caught on something, and therefore the top part turning and a handle whacking me in the thigh really hard.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2016, 12:42:12 pm »

I remember using one of those bastards and it got stuck about 2 feet down.  Took me hours to dig that fucker out -- after it had beaten me up pretty good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

I have met 4 of you, but only 1 who still posts-- AugustWest.
I still read things occasionally and today thought about posting that Onstad seems to be afflicted by the roundy mandible.

I have met inev and Paul. I think I forgot to return a phone call to Jough about hanging out once. Dick move.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #397 on: April 20, 2016, 02:36:27 am »

OK, then here's your ProTip for those mothers: go down slightly eccentric the first foot so you have some wobble room to draw that fucker if it jams on something.

This seems like it's highly applicable in a lot of aspects of life.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2016, 02:51:54 am »

OK, then here's your ProTip for those mothers: go down slightly eccentric the first foot so you have some wobble room to draw that fucker if it jams on something.

The urge is to drill this awesome 2 1/2 foot deep perfect cylinder but that is the trap.
As I recall, I got too close to a concrete cistern cover and got caught under the edge of its foundation.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:46 pm »

Yeah, but when the zombie apocalypse comes I've got that cistern going for me. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #400 on: April 20, 2016, 03:38:11 pm »

A question I still don't know the answer to: should I apply to jobs that only say they require a BA?

On the one hand, that feels like I wasted 2 years getting this degree. On the other hand, all employers are liars and I sure didn't get any jobs that said "BA" when I had a BA.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »

You should always apply for a job if you're not sure. What's the downside?

Remind me to tell you sometime about the job I didn't apply for because I was sure the description meant that they didn't want someone from my department who did the same thing as the people already in their department... and they ended up hiring someone from my department who did the same thing as the people already in their department.

Don't overthink it. If the job sounds interesting and your qualifications generally match, just send out the damn application.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #402 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:51 pm »

Yeah. Also a factor, now that I actually have concrete skills and experience whipping up a cover letter is a breeze.

One week from today, I will be studying for my last exam of grad school. So close.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #403 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:07 pm »

I have met inev and Paul.

Dang, it's been 10 years.


I've met JL, Pedro Picasso, Miles, AugustWest, Wombat, Jorge Faberge and... is that all? It seems like I'm missing someone. Oh yeah... Choop and Iron Felix.

JL, Pedro and Kids:


JL and Me on the Dance Floor:


Me and Miles in Salt Lake City:


Me and August West in his Office in Frankfurt:


Later, in the pool:


Wombat hiding behind pugs:


Choop and Iron Felix




Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2016, 03:03:53 am »

Good times!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71   Go Up