Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162122 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2016, 04:55:52 am »

Paul, next time you roll through SLC you still have a place to stay. It's a bit farther south but we have an actual guest room with a real bed, so all in all an upgrade I'd say.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2016, 12:29:37 pm »

Aw, look at those pugs. Those were such good pugs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #407 on: April 21, 2016, 10:15:53 pm »

Paul, next time you roll through SLC you still have a place to stay. It's a bit farther south but we have an actual guest room with a real bed, so all in all an upgrade I'd say.

Thanks man, I may do one day. And thanks for having my back on Facebook yesterday. That woman is a nutjob.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2016, 03:46:10 am »

Thanks man, I may do one day. And thanks for having my back on Facebook yesterday. That woman is a nutjob.

Some people man.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2016, 04:18:12 am »

Today two different people asked me if I'm OK because I seem frazzled. I think I need a shave and a haircut in a major way. This is the time of year that I start wanting a buzz cut, but I am pretty sure that it feels better than it looks. I'll have plenty of time for the buzzcut if/when I start balding.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2016, 05:41:29 am »

Your  hair looks great in that picture Jough posted.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #411 on: April 22, 2016, 12:53:58 pm »

I've met JL, Pedro Picasso, Miles, AugustWest, Wombat, Jorge Faberge and... is that all? It seems like I'm missing someone. Oh yeah... Choop and Iron Felix.

Dragonfire in action by Carlos del Vaca, on Flickr
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #412 on: April 22, 2016, 03:57:35 pm »

Oh shit, I forgot Carlos!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #413 on: April 22, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »

Sorry Carlos, my only excuse is it was the same trip I met JL and Wombat, so, you know, priorities, I guess.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #414 on: April 23, 2016, 08:58:57 pm »

As I think about having to move in a few months, I find myself once again wanting to sell/donate many of my possessions. A big question is kitchenware. It's tempting to get rid of stuff that I barely use (since I only cook for myself and never host people) to make space, and assume that in the future I will have more space and money if I need to buy things again. On the other hand, I'll feel stupid when I want to bake a cake in a year and remember giving away my unused cake pans.

I already made a big pile of college textbooks that need to go. That is a lot of space and poundage freed up.

A painful one is my guitar amplifier. I use it very, very rarely since I moved out here, and it's heavy and takes up a lot of space. It's hard to imagine that I will live someplace where I can use a 50 watt guitar amplifier, unless I move back to St Louis. I think it would make sense to sell it and replace it with something small once I'm settled down. But ugh. My amp!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #415 on: April 23, 2016, 11:53:15 pm »

Musical stuff is so hard to get rid of. We have so many instruments we never play anymore. Every couple of years I pick up the guitar and mess around with it but we have all these neglected early music instruments. The Tech Staff still plays the viols sometimes, but the rest are totally ignored. But he would never go along with finding them better homes. On the bright side I guess none of them are as big as a guitar amplifier.

The only thing I ever sold was a button accordion. The bellows dry out and are ruined if you never use it, so I convinced myself it needed to live with someone who had occasion to actually play it. But I still think about regretfully every now again.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2016, 05:12:05 am »

It is probably true that at the end of every semester, I think "this is the one where I don't make it." I am pretty sure that as long as I turn in something for the three projects that are due Monday and Tuesday I will graduate. But getting there is not going to be fun.

I have gotten a lot better at starting things ahead of time. Unfortunately the difficulty of the projects has increased at the same rate as I have gotten better.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2016, 07:41:05 am »

I don't think the emotional attachment is as strong for amplifiers, unless it's something rare.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #418 on: April 24, 2016, 12:23:41 pm »

I don't think it's a sentimental attachment. It's attachment to the belief that you are the sort of person who is going to play those instruments again.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »

yeah. I kind of worry that if I sell the amp, I'll never replace it. And I'll be a guy with a nice guitar that he plays unplugged. And then I'll do that less and less, until I'm a guy with a nice guitar in his attic. But who knows, when I move maybe I'll find people to play music with and I'll get an amp as soon as I have the money.

Last night I was up until 4 writing this paper about St Louis and it made me want to go back so much. When I lived there and made $11 an hour I had a lifestyle I could probably never afford in NYC. But of course, at this point only 2 of my good friends still live there, and one of them is married and the other is moving in with his girlfriend. It might be a disappointment to return.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71   Go Up