But that's the thing. St Louis is a city. You can walk places, there's public transit. Not to the same level as in NYC, but it's not like I'd be raising a kid in Manhattan. I could also afford to do crazy, fancy things like send the kid to college. The things I would miss about NYC (I imagine, having never actually lived there) would be the multiculturalism, the subway, the pace, and the constant cultural events. But St Louis has museums and parks and a zoo too. It's a nice place to live.
I think there's also a sense of space in St Louis that is missing in New York. In New York you can find anything you want to buy, or pay to see anything you want to see. In St Louis you can have an idea and do it-- so many people I know there are starting businesses or events or whatever because nobody's already doing what they want to do. This is also part of why there are so many great restaurants there. It's a hard place to find a job, but it's a place where once you find a job you can make a big difference.
And yeah, I am not raising a kid in a suburb. At least not one like the one I grew up in-- I know some suburbs are different. In the town I live in now, for instance, you can walk to the little downtown where there are stores, and New Brunswick is across the bridge and there are lots of places to eat and a record store. And a train to New York.