Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162260 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #480 on: June 03, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »

I was kind of torn about the radio gig, because in several interviews people have asked me about it. It stands out, even if it's not relevant.

I'm glad you guys agree about the clubs/activities/hobbies thing.

I wonder if the weird advice I get has to do with people not being familiar with the field. I do not feel amazing about my job-getting performance so far, but I think a resume that says I worked for a major NYC elected official, for a famous (within urban planning) professor, and for a really big nonprofit is probably not too shabby for just-out-of-grad-school jobs. It's not like my anime collection and making good lattes are all I have to offer.

(I don't know if "famous within urban planning" is a stretch for my frustrating boss at school, but at my interview for the NYC job they knew who she was)

For some reason this week a TON of jobs got posted in various cities after a few weeks of almost no leads. It's gonna be a busy weekend.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »

For the love of God don't mention your anime collection.

I think Ash is right about the radio station. If you were director of something at a radio station, that isn't like just belonging to a club. Also, I think that if people have asked you about it in interviews, you've already proved it's worth including. But I would still make sure it was lower down than the experience relevant to your field.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2016, 09:20:45 am »

I got drunk as hell in flagstaff and proposed and went to the grand canyon
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2016, 09:23:04 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #484 on: June 20, 2016, 06:30:09 pm »

Wombat! How'd you like being at the beach all week? It looks like you handled it OK.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #485 on: June 20, 2016, 07:39:19 pm »

It was great. It would have been greater if I hadn't had a headache for half the week, but it was the best kind of vacation to feel lousy on - there were all kinds of nice spots in the house to laze around and read a book. The weather was perfect and the crazy pug survived her first trip.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #486 on: June 27, 2016, 04:43:34 am »

Fuck yeah, Former Met. Ride that adventure, diggity-diggity.

Are we just assuming that she said yes?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #487 on: June 27, 2016, 06:02:12 am »

Oh, hahaha, she said no!

It was not a real proposal.  Really.  But it sort of was.  I only did it cause she is moving to London.  She left today.  She is a British citizen.  And smart and caring and doesn't do drugs and likes different things then me (this is always a positive in my relationships as long as she feels the same basic way about the world as me) but feels the same way about the world as me.  Oh...and she is fuck*ng beautiful.

I am going to London either September or December, depending on if I go back to school.  We kinda have a thing where if we both miss each other we might try?  I'm pretty good with it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #488 on: June 30, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »

Is... it possible that the reason I have not even had an interview for any of the dozens of NYC jobs I have applied to is that I have not taken the civil service exam on city planning?

Just got a voicemail from a guy saying he wants to interview me but wants to confirm that I have taken the exam. Did I miss the boat on this this badly...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2016, 06:30:26 pm »

Riddle me this: what do you call a jacuzzi that only goes up to 104d when it's 117d outside?

Cold Tub?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »

So, my fear was correct. There is an irregularly-scheduled exam for people applying to City Planning jobs in NYC. I missed the most recent date because I had no idea this thing even existed. There is no schedule of when it will be offered again. I got a call saying they wanted to offer me an interview for a city job, but that I needed to confirm that I've taken the exam, so I had to turn it down.

Somehow I missed that this job listed the exam as one of the requirements, and now I'm nervous that other things I applied to may also have required it. Although, I had only applied to this job a week ago, so maybe I should assume I have already been rejected from everything else.

Either way in 3 weeks I have to be out of my apartment. Fuck.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »

So, my fear was correct. There is an irregularly-scheduled exam for people applying to City Planning jobs in NYC. I missed the most recent date because I had no idea this thing even existed. There is no schedule of when it will be offered again. I got a call saying they wanted to offer me an interview for a city job, but that I needed to confirm that I've taken the exam, so I had to turn it down.

Somehow I missed that this job listed the exam as one of the requirements, and now I'm nervous that other things I applied to may also have required it. Although, I had only applied to this job a week ago, so maybe I should assume I have already been rejected from everything else.

Either way in 3 weeks I have to be out of my apartment. Fuck.
Personally, I blame your school. They should've told you about it, given their proximity to NYC. Not that they need to be spoon feeding you the dates or whatever, but they should at least tell you that it is a thing.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »

Yeah, I am really confused that I had never even HEARD of this, even from former classmates who work for the city now. I emailed my boss from last summer and he said he thinks that not all planning jobs for the city require it, but forwarded the question to someone who will know for sure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2016, 06:43:49 pm »

Extra rage:

So you have to take this "exam" at their office at the set times, which only come randomly as far as I can tell. What is the "exam?"

You fill out a piece of paper proving that you have "sufficient education or experience" to qualify as an "experienced planner."

I am pretty firmly in the camp that wants to give bureaucracy the benefit of the doubt. Probably to a fault. but I can't think of any reason that this can't just be a form I fill out after waiting in a line like at the DMV.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »

It's like $65.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71   Go Up