Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162220 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #510 on: July 21, 2016, 01:49:19 am »

Today I moved all of my books, my amplifier, and winter clothes into a storage unit. I think I did a good job of knocking out the really heavy stuff first, aside from my records. Still, ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2016, 06:55:13 pm »

Circumstances.  Safety.
Education.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

Today I had a job interview at the place I've been interning. I think it mostly went very well. They were smiling when I explained why I'm interested in the job.

Then they asked one super easy softball question and I spazzed and failed to answer it at all. Just blathered about every possible thing I know about NYC housing policy instead of getting to the point.

They said I'll hear back within TWO OR THREE WEEKS about whether I get a second interview. At this rate I may as well move to Philly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2016, 03:41:40 pm »

Today I had a job interview at the place I've been interning. I think it mostly went very well. They were smiling when I explained why I'm interested in the job.

Then they asked one super easy softball question and I spazzed and failed to answer it at all. Just blathered about every possible thing I know about NYC housing policy instead of getting to the point.

They said I'll hear back within TWO OR THREE WEEKS about whether I get a second interview. At this rate I may as well move to Philly.

I hate the why do you want the job interview question. Reminds me of a workplace questionnaire I once filled out that asked "What do you like most about working at _____." Of course the real answer was a biweekly paycheck and benefits, but sensing that wouldn't go over well, I answered "Free coffee."
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »

Similar but different--I got a survey from the Nats a few weeks ago, and after answering that I expected to renew my season tickets, they asked "Why do you expect to renew your season tickets?" The answers were "I feel valued by the team," "I like being able to trade in games easily," "I like the eCash program," and all other things about the features they offer season ticket holders.

I clicked "Other" and wrote in "I really like baseball."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »

Well, in this case the answer was that this is the only job listing I've seen where I could do what I really believe planners should do. So that went over well.

(The position is Technical Assistance Coordinator to a coalition of neighborhood activist groups in NYC-- so mostly explaining to them what proposed new zoning rules would mean, shepherding them through the various appeals processes, and translating their desires and needs into technical language/maps/etc.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:03:57 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2016, 01:38:18 am »

Everything but one carload of stuff is moved out of my apartment and into a storage unit. Good riddance to this place.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:15 pm »

Did not do a good job pretending I was going to miss the bad roommate. It still felt kind of weird closing the door for the last time though. That cruddy apartment was mine for two years.

Now all moved in with my friend from school. Small, cute bedroom with a big closet.

I think the plan now is to apply to temp agencies in Philly and look for a place I can rent somewhat short-term starting September 1. Seems like a good base while I apply to things mostly on the eastern seaboard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »

Didn't he end up in Chicago? Just traded the smell of urine for the smell of slaughterhouses and coal.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:51:05 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #521 on: August 04, 2016, 02:21:48 pm »

Yesterday I went to the gym and lifted weights with my new roommate. I had probably not done that since... high school track practice?

It turns out lifting weights with a petite and lazy lady is a lot less intimidating than doing it with high school guys who won't stop joking about how many of me they could bench press. She did each exercise until it started to mildly burn and then stopped. We were there 25 minutes tops. I suggested that we go again soon and do each one for... a little bit longer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #522 on: August 04, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »

I think your petite and lazy lady roomie is
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:50:52 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #523 on: August 04, 2016, 03:12:08 pm »

Yeah. I was definitely thinking about "the gym" in an all or nothing way, instead of thinking "hey, I could do this thing in a moderate way to maintain my health."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

"hey, I could do this thing in a moderate way to maintain my health."

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:50:36 pm by Asherdan »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71   Go Up