Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162180 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #525 on: August 08, 2016, 03:39:51 pm »

Hm. It's hard to get an apartment when you have no income. Landlords or people subletting are not interested in "I'm looking for jobs."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #526 on: August 10, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »

My boss at school is asking around to see if there's some way to fudge the bureacracy and keep me on through September. Technically it's a "student job" so it might be tricky.
Tonight: driving to Philly to look at an apartment and meet potential roommates. Nice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #527 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:26 pm »

So I got an apartment in Philly. Just for the month of September. It is in maybe an area where I do not want to live. Some nearby streets are MENACING. But a few blocks in the other direction it turns into "apparently women feel safe jogging at night here" territory.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:49 pm »

I cannot get a long-term lease without income, so I am hopping around to places I can take a month at a time. I do not like it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #529 on: August 12, 2016, 06:18:06 pm »

Seems like there must be a couch-surfing app out there somewhere.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #530 on: August 19, 2016, 03:18:48 am »

Today thanks to a connection of my dad's I talked to a recruiter at a huge company. What a pleasant process. We chatted nicely about my skillset and experience, why I'm interested in the huge company, and then she suggested some job titles I should look out for on their website. It was so... humane.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #531 on: August 26, 2016, 07:46:39 pm »

I did drop some info into the "Memory Book" but only because it had a place for me to drop in a 'self-potrait':

Why the long face, though?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #532 on: August 27, 2016, 02:56:33 am »

I did drop some info into the "Memory Book" but only because it had a place for me to drop in a 'self-potrait':



That's Dan "Strokey Doke" Asher!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2016, 02:47:02 pm »

My boss gave me a task to do while she's on vacation, and told me to meet with a colleague to hear about his ideas for it. It's a 2 page explanation of goals for a meeting they're having with community members. He asked how long it will take me and I said I don't know. He insisted. I said, um, a week? He did not like that answer at all.

Saturday I had dinner with this girl and damn I thought I was past that whole mess. It was one of the better meals I've had in years and we ate and had a wonderful conversation and smiled and had a grand ol' time. But then, you know, she left.

I am always a kind of emotionally volatile person, but lately things are really getting to me. Yeesh. Once I get to Philly I really need to find even just a part-time job and an apartment I can stay in for longer than 30 days. Worrying about this many things at once is not working well for me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:23:11 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2016, 02:21:41 pm »

Sleeping on a mattress on the floor of a dingy room with no lights is not helping my feeling that my life is not going the way I want it to right now.

Philly is great, other than my meeting with a local guy who told me I should apply to jobs in the South and West (of the US, not Philly) unless I'm prepared to volunteer a lot until I find a job. He said small organizations only hire people from the neighborhoods they work in, and the city government almost never hires new people. Ughhh. He suggested Americorps.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #535 on: September 04, 2016, 10:51:25 am »

South and West

Yes! Houston is your destiny. You can sleep on a dingy mattress on the floor of my house for free until you get yourself established.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #536 on: September 04, 2016, 08:15:42 pm »

Thanks paul. I actually did see some interesting pictures of new houses being built in Houston. It was interesting because they looked like McMansions in style (windows and stuff) but were shaped like the houses being built in the midwest 100 years ago-- tall and skinny with narrow alleys between each house and its neighbor. The guy who posted them said "just wait for all the urbanists who claim all they care about is density to respond to this saying these houses are ugly." My friend who lives in Austin loves Houston too. I'll have to make it out there some day. I'll add it to my list when I'm looking for jobs.

And I'm mysteriously sleeping like a damn baby on this mattress on the floor. I wonder why? No tossing and turning, just perfect blissful sleep. Maybe I need a harder bed next time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:21:40 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2016, 06:38:52 am »

Tucson is a very nice city in the South and West of the US. Whatever you do, don't move to Phoenix. But Tucson is great. Not sure what kind of opportunities there are in your field though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2016, 07:54:58 am »

Flagstaff is my favorite place in the world, but I feel like it is more of a place to retire than to build a career.

It is also in the south and west
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #539 on: September 05, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »

Yeah, the call of the Southwest is not strong for me. He just said there are lots of jobs there because the region is growing instead of shrinking like up here. Bah!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71   Go Up