I think of this every time I go past a building in our neighborhood where they did one of those things of keeping the old building and/or parts of its facade and building another building all tucked in around and over it. It looks so terrible that I almost wish they'd just torn the old one down. The people involved clearly had no sense of aesthetics, of making something that harmonized and fit in visually. I feel like this could only have been built by someone who actually dislikes buildings.
I think my problem with understanding the world is that I have a very impractical approach to life. I look at the world and say "What could I do that's interesting in order to make money?" But I guess some people say "What could I do to make tons of money?", period. So if I was going to try to make money out of buildings, it would be by doing something with a building that I thought was cool... like spending way too much time writing something about an old building for nowhere near enough money. Whereas a lot of other people would say "I could make a ton of money by knocking that old building down and building a big new one." There doesn't have to be another level of interestingness for them. It's not like or dislike, it's just not giving a fuck except about the numbers. I can't even imagine thinking that way, but I think life must be a lot easier for people like that.