Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162238 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2016, 01:49:38 am »

The one that's hardest to do?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #572 on: September 22, 2016, 02:56:00 am »

I'm guessing circular and running bond mixed, which I imagine requires cutting bricks.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #573 on: September 22, 2016, 04:04:40 pm »

My macbook has been on the decline for a while, and this week I finally bit the bullet. Bought a super cheap used thinkpad off of ebay and put linux on it. I'm having a blast with this thing, but one flaw is driving me up the wall: it has a German keyboard. The labels on the keys are a mild annoyance, it's rare that I look at the keyboard, but the shapes of the keys are also different. Specifically, the Enter and Shift keys are narrower and there's an extra symbol key where I am used to their inner edges being.

Other than that: it has the same specs as my 6 year old macbook, but weighs half as much, lasts several times longer, and doesn't get hot and uncomfortable when I use it on my lap. This thing is great. Making things harder for myself than they need to be with Linux but it's all fun for now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #574 on: September 22, 2016, 04:07:28 pm »

The anarchist in me wants to like Linux,  but the activation energy is too high for a dad of young children.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #575 on: September 22, 2016, 04:48:37 pm »

Yeah, it seems like they are still not at the point where it's easy enough to get going when you have other demands on your time and need it to just work. Although to be fair what I meant was I made it harder on myself for not going for an "easier" distribution. I think most of the stuff I've struggled with would be solved for me in Ubuntu, but I wanted a sick custom setup because I look at Reddit too much.

Playing some Factorio on this thing, that game pushes all my fun buttons even though I'm pretty bad at it.

Also: it's mindblowing to me that a $250 computer can be this good.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:29:08 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #576 on: September 27, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »

Interview in Virginia in mid-october, interview in NYC early october, my Inside Woman at a job in Texas says she's "90% sure" I'm getting an interview. Too much at once.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #577 on: September 27, 2016, 07:28:55 pm »

Where in Virginia?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #578 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:17 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #579 on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »

McLean. I will be near some of you fine folks, not sure yet what the timetable is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #580 on: September 28, 2016, 01:33:46 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #581 on: September 29, 2016, 09:41:00 pm »

There's an NYT article today talking about the personality traits in kids that predict future drug addiction and... geez. I'm glad I managed to divert my reality-avoiding/stimulation-seeking tendencies into books and video games and guitar bands. And posting on a board about alive stuffed animals.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2016, 01:32:35 am »

Where in Texas?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #583 on: September 30, 2016, 02:24:28 am »

There's an NYT article today talking about the personality traits in kids that predict future drug addiction and... geez. I'm glad I managed to divert my reality-avoiding/stimulation-seeking tendencies into books and video games and guitar bands. And posting on a board about alive stuffed animals.

I did all that and it didn't work, the drugs just made that stuff more fun.  Especially the books and guitar bands.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #584 on: September 30, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »

Quote
Where in Texas?

Austin. Fingers crossed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71   Go Up