Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161898 times)

0 Members and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #585 on: October 01, 2016, 05:49:31 am »

Austin. Fingers crossed.

That's just 3 hours away. And I know people there who like to take in exchange students. They might be willing to help you ease your transition into the city. If this goes down, I'll do what I can to help. I'm totally willing to have that awkward conversation with them, you know the one. "You say you are friends with this guy, but  you've never met?" "Yeah, I've known him for about 15 years, but we've never met." "How do you know him?" "He was in high school, I was in my 40s. We like the same comic books."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #586 on: October 01, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »

Thanks Paul! One of my best friends from college lives there but it's always good to have more connections.

Went to a cool concert last night and then walked around for a few hours before coming home. Philly is the best.

Also, had my last day at my student job. I am now totally unemployed. For the moment it actually feels... kind of good. But I will need money pretty soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #587 on: October 03, 2016, 01:19:47 am »

I know people in Philly, should you need any connections there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #588 on: October 04, 2016, 05:38:30 pm »

Thanks Mr. del Vaca.

Phone interview in NYC went pretty well. They said I was one of 10 people they were interviewing out of 120 applicants. I feel so special!

They want a writing sample with quantitative population analysis. I... um... kind of have one. It is not my best work. It's from that cruddy internship where they never gave me feedback on anything I did, so it's basically a first draft.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #589 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »

(second interview, my dudes and dudettes)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #590 on: October 05, 2016, 09:31:05 pm »

Unfortunately it looks like the VA trip is going to be a very short affair. I am getting in late Sunday, interviewing Monday, and then leaving Monday afternoon. Sorry guys.

I am interested in your insight on whether I can find someplace pleasant to live within not-hellish commuting distance of McLean, VA. I am a little concerned that my definition of "pleasant" might limit my options. Could I just live in DC, or would that be a horrible commute? Google Maps seems to say it would only be 30-40 minutes from western areas of DC, but I would trust local knowledge more.

The place I'm living in Philly is so ideal, aside from being with some very messy/dirty 23 year olds. Two blocks from a subway station, 1/2 mile from a big grocery store, cheap rent, nice clean bedroom with central air and a big closet. This is going to spoil me for living anywhere else. It is definitely not a "hip" area but for $400 a month I can handle taking the trolley to see shows.

Also, finally found the correct walkthrough to get brightness and volume keys working on the new Thinkpad. Now the only problem is that the touchpad is ATROCIOUS. I've messed around with all kinds of settings but it's still not even close to the buttery-smooth Macbook experience. But the form factor on this thing, otherwise, is great. I picked up my old macbook today to find a file I had saved on there and it felt so huge and heavy and silly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:34:50 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #591 on: October 06, 2016, 12:44:58 pm »

I am interested in your insight on whether I can find someplace pleasant to live within not-hellish commuting distance of McLean, VA. I am a little concerned that my definition of "pleasant" might limit my options. Could I just live in DC, or would that be a horrible commute? Google Maps seems to say it would only be 30-40 minutes from western areas of DC, but I would trust local knowledge more.

Going out from DC to Tysons shouldn't be too bad. The Metro runs out that way now (silver line), so figure out if your place of employment is close enough to one of those stations. The Metro ain't what it used to be, but it's still mostly good, and the silver line is all shiny and new.

The typical place for hip young people to live is Arlington, on the orange line stretch from Rosslyn to Ballston. Expensive af though, especially if you want your own place. Same goes for many good neighborhoods in DC. When I first moved here I lived in a group house in Mount Pleasant--seven of us altogether, which had its downsides, but it was cheap as hell and I could walk to Adams-Morgan on the weekends. Then I lived in Arlington with three other people, who were all awesome (one of them ended up being in my wedding), it was affordable, and it was walkable to the Metro. Back in my day the Washington City Paper was the place to look for "roommates wanted" ads; I expect Craigslist will have that as well.

If you can afford to be a little more spendy, I'd recommend the Mosaic District. Good restaurants and stuff, nice apartments, a straight shot up the Beltway to Tysons. http://mosaicdistrict.com/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #592 on: October 06, 2016, 06:58:47 pm »

I want to live alone so much but realistically I'm getting an "entry level" job at age 28 so it might not be in the cards. Just so sick of living with people I don't know. It was one thing living with my friends in St. Louis, but at this point I've lived with 8 different strangers over the last 2 years and change. In Philly or St. Louis I could 100% afford a one bedroom, most other places I'm applying to things it looks like a stretch.

This is a thing that makes me aggravated with affordable housing advocates in NYC who fight against laws to allow smaller apartments. I would be willing to pay for like a 110 sq foot studio there, but they are not allowed to build them. So instead I'll pay $1,200 for a bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment, and drive up the housing prices for families even more. Good job, assholes. 100 years ago (and probably more recently but I'm not up on when these things changed) a single guy my age would have lived in a rooming house, but they got rid of all of those too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:02:15 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #594 on: October 06, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »

Philly is definitely the good kind of weird with shades of the scary kind of weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #595 on: October 06, 2016, 11:18:37 pm »

They also got this
http://billypenn.com/2016/08/03/the-city-of-philadelphia-is-cracking-down-on-dumpster-pools/

That has to be at least in the running for the best official statement from a mayor's office in the history of official statements from major's offices.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2016, 04:02:14 am »

We are not screwing around, philly
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #597 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:52 am »

Keith you would love Philly. It's so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #598 on: October 07, 2016, 07:35:53 am »

Yeah I've never been to a block party.  You all have block parties with illegal dumpster swimming pools!

It sounds great.  Though LA is great too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #599 on: October 08, 2016, 12:52:43 am »

I am on a hot streak! Now up to 3 interviews in 3 states next week. Luckily one is a Skype interview.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 71   Go Up