Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162239 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #600 on: October 10, 2016, 07:28:08 pm »

I hope you wind up in Philly because of THIS.

Good Lord!

I I thought this guy was nuts. In case you can't read it, it says "fuck gas prices" on the back of his helmet. This is from 8 years ago near the end of the Bush era when everything had gone to hell in a hat basket and gas prices were at their worst. So I assume this guy's probably dead by now, a greasy spot on the freeway.

At least he has a motor, he can probably top out at 50mph. Your guy is much worse, just peddling along like it's nobody's business.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #601 on: October 11, 2016, 05:50:56 pm »

On my last day at my school job, my boss had already left for the day by the time I went home. So I left my key to the office sitting on my desk. Now she's emailing me asking where it is, why I didn't return it to her, and forwarded me an email where the facilities people told her how much it will cost to change all the locks. What?? She says she looked all over the office and it isn't there. Why would someone steal the key to our office (not into the whole building, which requires a keycard). Why would anyone ever want to get into our office who can already get into the building?

Is she trying to get me to pay for the cost of changing the locks?

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #602 on: October 11, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »

I can't figure out what she thinks is in there that's so valuable. Last time someone lost a key (they lost their keychain) she moved all of the contents of all of her filing cabinets into another room.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #603 on: October 11, 2016, 10:10:02 pm »

You may indeed be dealing with a crazy person, but take this as a lesson that that is not how you should return your key on your last day of work. Because really it isn't.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2016, 05:57:39 pm »

I have 3 filing cabinets in my immediate vicinity.  All of them were filled by me at various points in time.  I have no idea what is in them.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #605 on: October 13, 2016, 06:27:27 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #606 on: October 14, 2016, 03:15:07 am »

Had confusing interviews at the job in Virginia. I came out kind of... not sure if I want the job.

Today I had my interview in NYC. That one went awesomely. I got to meet two of the leads in the section who seemed great, and two of my potential peers who were super smart and interesting. They want another writing sample and I am really not sure what to send. They also mentioned the salary range and it was higher than I expected. I really want this job.

Tomorrow, Austin (via Skype).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2016, 02:16:47 am »

Austin interview went OK. It was very stiff and formal. And my wifi gave out and we had to switch to the phone. I was sweating bullets when my computer wouldn't reconnect.

In all of my interviews when they ask if I have any questions, I ask people how they ended up in their current position. I was never really sure why I ask this, other than that I figure it's good to seem interested in people. But at the NYC job I finally got the kind of answers I wanted-- the four people I met all came from different academic fields, talked about totally different things that they like about working in this office, and the two who were my age talked about what they want to try to do next with the skills they're learning there.

At the DC/Virginia interview everyone my age started working there straight out of their undergraduate business program. But of course I'd be starting that career path six years behind the people my age. Yeesh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #608 on: October 18, 2016, 09:36:58 pm »

You get an impressive amount of stories out of a train commute.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #609 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:02 pm »

yeah, geez dude! My best through worst stories range from "I got really delayed by a bomb" to "I got lost again." You're having adventures over there.

I realized at some point I had lost the best detail of my most extreme getting-lost story, where I got on an express train to the Jersey Shore. Which is that when I got there, I could hear a guy playing acoustic guitar and singing to a crowd in a park next to the platform, and his song was about how everybody remembers where they were on 9/11.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2016, 04:12:09 am »

You get an impressive amount of stories out of a train commute.

Succinct.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »

I guess there's more potential for variety on the train. The idiotic things drivers do mostly fall into a limited number of categories.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:39 pm »

You know what's also better about the train? You are less likely to get yourself killed in an accident.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »

The reason I drove into work was to give a new dentist a shot.

In my experience, the reverse usually happens.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2016, 07:08:02 pm »

Yeah, driving to work blows. It was really pathetic how much commuting on the Turnpike for a month wrecked me.

The one driving thing I have not figured out: letting people merge. I had never lived someplace where highways were crowded enough that this was an issue. But on the Turnpike there are people trying to merge, I'm in the right hand lane, and the lane to my left is full of people going faster than me/my lane. And of course the merging lane is like 1/2 as long as it should be. Ugh.
I feel like in a perfect world, merging is their problem, right? I should not have to adjust my driving to let them merge if everyone is driving with appropriate distance in front of them. But that never happens.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71   Go Up