Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162404 times)

0 Members and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2016, 08:21:22 pm »

Your dentist story makes me want to punch someone. I don't understand doctors/dentists/ etc. I don't understand how hard it is to make appointments at a certain time and actually see the person at that time. I have to make appointments with people in my job. If I make an appointment to call someone at 11, I call them at 11. If I have another appointment to call someone else at 12, I get off the 11:00 call before 12. It doesn't seem like rocket science.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #616 on: October 20, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »

I am a finalist for the job in NYC. They called to ask a few questions (how soon could I move there, would I commit to stay for several years if I got it, etc) and said they'll be in touch in a few days. I'm losing my mind.

Trying to think about how it's very possible I won't get it. But damn, I want it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #617 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:33 pm »

Oh same here. Now the suspense is killing me too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #618 on: October 21, 2016, 03:40:05 am »

They can get some other job that pays a lot of money, is that a good trade?

(no, obviously we need all types of people making urban planning decisions too)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:45:49 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #619 on: October 21, 2016, 04:21:47 pm »

Rejected from the Austin job. I'm saying... where I'm going, I don't need Backup Job Offers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »

Inev worked at a grocery store, so he's done his best to be disadvantaged despite his parent's best efforts, don't you think? Can't blame a person for the circumstances of his birth.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2016, 06:20:30 pm »

Well, you don't have to pick up actual shit to learn what kind of shit people in less fancy jobs have to put up with.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2016, 08:21:33 pm »

Quote
Inev worked at a grocery store, so he's done his best to be disadvantaged despite his parent's best efforts, don't you think? Can't blame a person for the circumstances of his birth.

Unfortunately the grocery store job did not wash away the stain of my parents paying for my private high school / private college. They also kicked in some rent money during grad school, although I got the free tuition on my own. (you know, albeit with the brains and education they provided for me). Almost debt free with a master's degree at 28 is pretty not-disadvantaged. But glad you think of me that way ; - )
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #623 on: October 21, 2016, 10:44:47 pm »

My parents wouldn't tolerate my loafing freeloader ass during the summers in college, so I had to become a wage slave to the most transient of job types.  Two of them stand out as true motivators for my degree completion: a part-bag-stuffer for a Rainbird distributor in Livermore (CA), and a post-hole-digger for a sign company in an uncer-construction VA cemetery in Los Banos.  The Rainbird distributor was in a light industrial park in a non-climate controlled warehouse during July-August.  The temperatures inside were 95-100, and some plant I was allergic to was in full bloom the whole 5 weeks.  Days consisted of picking parts from a Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse arrangement of bins with a list of 10+ digit alphanumberic ids, then putting the prescribed set into a baggie, heat-sealing it, and stapling on a cardboard retail label.
The post-hole digger one was epic - Los Banos in the summer rarely drops below 100F and 12pm-3pm were usually 110+  A little troop of us (me, a caucasian ex-con, and 5 Mexican gentlemen of uncertain documentation) walked behind a truck with an auger on it.  Every 30 feet or so the truck would drill a 18" diameter hole, and one of us would spend the next few minutes shoveling the loose dirt out.  That only went on until noon, because they didn't want anyone stroking out in the heat.  We'd spend the early afternoon pouring concrete and placing brass markers into the cured concrete.  The rest of the crew called me either Professor or Doctor due to my schooling past 8th grade.  The ex-con (robbery, drugs and assault) told me at least once a day to stay in school.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #624 on: October 22, 2016, 01:36:29 am »

What are we doing rooting for the upper-middle white kid?

Fuck you, Inev, I hope the female non-white cripple takes that job right out of your mitts.

(rough chuckles?)

I'm all for black women with, I don't know, plantar warts? But Inev is our friend, old boy network, bitches!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #625 on: October 24, 2016, 05:14:46 pm »

New dumbest thing in the world: https://www.facebook.com/DailyYeshua/photos/a.1149001125115251.1073741828.1148969105118453/1502708549744505/?type=3&theater

Subtract your age from 2016! You'll probably get the year you were born! holy fuck*ng shit Jesus is real!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #626 on: October 25, 2016, 07:31:23 pm »

Praise the Lord, I understand math!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2016, 12:56:36 pm »

Lately I find myself going to Facebook, reading about two screens worth of posts, then remembering Facebook sucks and is terrible and finding something else to do.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #628 on: October 26, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »

Rejected from jobs in Texas and Virginia, still no news on NYC.

Should have kept applying to other stuff throughout this process.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »

I knew it the whole time, but my powers of laziness and procrastination are very strong. With a healthy scoop of petulant self-sabotage.

I got a lump sum from my last month of work at my school job and it lulled me into a false sense of security, money-wise. What's the opposite of counting chickens before they hatch? Even as I imagine I won't get the NYC job, I worry about logistics if I did get it. Moving to New York is not cheap.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71   Go Up