Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162096 times)

0 Members and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #645 on: November 11, 2016, 06:06:18 am »

They somehow still can't get it together to give me any proof that I'm hired, but are still asking how soon I can start. The landlord won't rent to me unless I give her proof that I'm employed and earning enough to pay the rent. They gave me an "offer letter" but it stipulates that my hiring has to be approved by the city budget office, which will take several weeks. Does this mean I can't sign the lease for several weeks?

Nervous because the woman moving out is (rightfully) antsy about why this is taking so long. She doesn't want to be on the hook if things fall through.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #646 on: November 17, 2016, 06:20:31 pm »

All this moving shit coming down to the wire is not fun. Now they spring on me that the next step is coming into their rental office to sign stuff and pay the first month/deposit in person. I was planning on driving home for Thanksgiving tomorrow, but I guess instead I'm driving to NYC tomorrow or Monday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #647 on: November 17, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

In person? What is this, 1980?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #648 on: November 17, 2016, 08:16:05 pm »

Yep. This is a pain. But I have a place to live so I'll deal with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #649 on: November 19, 2016, 04:53:52 am »

In person? What is this, 1980?

You couldn't even fax it to them?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #650 on: November 19, 2016, 05:33:46 pm »

For some reason they want me and the outgoing roommate to meet and sign it in front of them. I'll also hand over the rent and security deposit.

So I have a few more days in Philly. Unfortunately I have a horrible cold that won't go away, but I'm trying to think of some fun "bye Philly" stuff to do.

I've already eaten way too many cheesesteaks. My body would probably thank me for never eating another cheesesteak.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #651 on: November 20, 2016, 01:30:55 pm »

I got a cheesesteak hankerin' last night, and went to a local pizza/sub place. It was OK, but mostly made me wish I could go to Philly and get a really good one.

Been to the art museum yet? Franklin Institute? Do people still hang out on South Street?
How about Hop Sing Laundromat? I wrote about that here: http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=3806.msg191524#msg191524
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #652 on: November 20, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »

Maybe I'll go to the art museum again. Hop Sing sounds cool but I do not know anyone to go with.

And yeah, South Street is still a hangout spot-- although I've heard it isn't as cool as it once was. Lots of fancy yuppie restaurants now, and even a Whole Foods.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #653 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:01 pm »

Hop Sing sounds cool but I do not know anyone to go with.

Don't you have, like, dozens of Tinder dates lined up?!?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #654 on: November 21, 2016, 05:49:11 pm »

Oh, that woulda been a good idea. I did have a lot of tinder dates while I lived here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #655 on: November 27, 2016, 06:47:19 am »

I could tell two long boring stories here about how I spent a combined 24 hours driving to Charlotte and back, which should have only taken 16-17 hours. But I'd rather just say... I'm glad that tomorrow I'm moving someplace where I won't need to drive a car.

I'm bad at driving, driving sucks.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #656 on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:08 pm »

A world where getting extra 200lb rocks to move is a blessing. I'm glad you have found your bliss.

I'm about to go buy my first unlimited metrocard. Which might be mine.

My roommates seem very nice and the bedroom is bigger than I thought. I live 2 blocks from a friend from college and a great bagel place. I joined a mailing list that will tell me about nerdy events all over the city every week (book readings, meetups, whatever). I need to figure out where to get cheaper groceries, because this morning a bag of brown sugar and a pound of Quaker Oats oatmeal cost me $7.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #657 on: November 28, 2016, 07:02:59 pm »

I think you have to buy a new card at the station every month. Maybe you can get one mailed to your house, I'm not sure. I am curious about how hectic my commute will be, but at worst it will just be crowded. At peak hours from my house to my job is supposed to be about 25 minutes. No transfers, which I think is pretty luxurious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #658 on: November 28, 2016, 07:32:35 pm »

It could happen. But it might be optimistic to think I'll ever get a seat.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #659 on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:45 am »

I think you have to buy a new card at the station every month.

It's hard to believe you can't do this online.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71   Go Up