Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161993 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2016, 12:45:06 am »

Public transit is apparently the last place to hear about new technologies like... the internet. But yeah, you gotta buy the card at the station.

After all of my travails with getting lost on the subway system and getting mad about the lack of signage, today felt like a joke. I got off the train and there was a helpful sign on the wall and you just walked down the hall and it went right into the lobby.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #661 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:51 am »

Nice rocks dude!  I need to post pics of my new cork kitchen floor.  Been workin' my ass off on that thing tellyawhut.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #662 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »


I would be interested in the installation woes of cork flooring.

It's just like a regular hardwood engineered floor.  The planks click together.  Once I figured out how to make them do that (only took two days, thank you YouTube) it went fine.  Of course you have all the usual pains in the ass associated with flooring installation -- the constant up and down, the cutting of the strange angles, the heavy appliance moving.  But that's to be expected.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #663 on: November 29, 2016, 06:25:42 pm »

After all of my travails with getting lost on the subway system and getting mad about the lack of signage, today felt like a joke. I got off the train and there was a helpful sign on the wall and you just walked down the hall and it went right into the lobby.

Oh wow, cool sign. I hope your actual job is half as good as the fact that that sign points to your building.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #664 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:19 am »

Public transit is apparently the last place to hear about new technologies like... the internet. But yeah, you gotta buy the card at the station.

Sounds like the government. I've heard the nuclear silos run on 7" floppy discs. Those computers are ancient.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2016, 02:04:40 am »

That's high tech compared to the NYC subway, which still runs on pre-computer technology from 100 years ago. There's an article somewhere with pictures of a command center where everything is operated by cranks and levers like in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2016, 05:06:59 pm »

That's high tech compared to the NYC subway, which still runs on pre-computer technology from 100 years ago. There's an article somewhere with pictures of a command center where everything is operated by cranks and levers like in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Is it steam powered? Do the operators all wear pith helmets for some reason?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #667 on: December 05, 2016, 02:12:49 am »

Two cool stresses:

When I was planning this whole move I did not think about the fact that I won't get my first paycheck for 2 weeks. I am deadass broke. Also not sure my office-appropriate wardrobe is going to stretch gracefully to cover the 2 weeks until i can buy some more shirts and #####.

I just drove my car to the Philly suburbs to leave it at my uncle's house. i asked him where to leave the key. I took it out and put it on the table. Then I took the train back to Brooklyn... and found the key in my pocket. i do not know how it got there.

on the other hand:

apartment in Brooklyn is great, although at the moment my room is stuffed wall to wall with boxes. Not much room to maneuver, and not clear what stuff I can get rid of.

I start my exciting job tomorrow. It's all worth it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #668 on: December 05, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »

HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE SUCH A THING!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #669 on: December 05, 2016, 06:34:14 pm »

I hope your first day at work goes great except for that one heinous social gaffe you're going to make and then come here and obsess to us all about.
HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE SUCH A THING!

C'mon man, give the kid a break. Remember Inev, you are the Universe!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #670 on: December 05, 2016, 11:59:05 pm »

First day was great. My ##### were too tight and I felt like everyone could see my Business. Other than that my only gaffe was getting conspicuously lost repeatedly. Everyone was very nice, I got lunch with the guy whose project I'm taking over, caught an express train home. Life is good.

Also ran into a woman I know from college who had great post-college gigs, then went to grad school at any Ivy League school. We now have the same job title in the same department but the shit I get to work on sounds cooler. Nice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #671 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:11 am »

Do we get to know what the project is?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #672 on: December 06, 2016, 11:51:13 pm »

So, most of this job right now is getting ready for the 2020 Census. The Census Bureau keeps a master list of every address in the country and mails out surveys-- if they don't know about an address, that household doesn't get counted. In NYC this is a huge issue because of how much new construction there is, how many people live in weird tiny apartments, etc. So what my department is doing is collecting address lists from various city departments and comparing them. They each have different strengths and weaknesses. For instance, the Department of Buildings knows about every building, even ones under construction, but doesn't always know how many units there are inside.

My project is getting a handle on "group housing" like prisons, nursing homes, dormitories, military barracks, juvenile homes, and other places of that nature. Apparently these are a big reason we can't just combine all the different address lists digitally-- the Post Office might record a dorm as 200 addresses, while the Department of Buildings records it as 1. So when comparing the numbers we got from different agencies it helps to know where these institutions are, which I'm collecting from a few different sources. Once I've done as much as I can from research, we will go out in person to blocks we can't figure out that have big discrepancies between the sources. That's the fun part.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #673 on: December 07, 2016, 09:27:59 pm »

I assume you will prioritize blocks that appear to have good ramen shops and the like.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #674 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:39 pm »

Or strip clubs, pool halls, pawn shops, and similar dens of iniquity.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71   Go Up