Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 162033 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #675 on: December 08, 2016, 02:59:08 am »

Mostly the blocks with big discrepancies are mostly in poor neighborhoods. Not places with good ramen or whatever.

Today my fear was confirmed: a man accosted my coworkers and chased them away because he was convinced they were taking notes about where immigrants live for President Trump.  Yeesh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #676 on: December 08, 2016, 07:26:08 pm »

Ask him if Danzig would kick his ass.  That should go over well.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #677 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:45 am »

Today my fear was confirmed: a man accosted my coworkers and chased them away because he was convinced they were taking notes about where immigrants live for President Trump.  Yeesh.

Is it a gubmint job? Are they technically correct?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #678 on: December 09, 2016, 03:05:57 am »

It is a government job, and the Census does record where immigrants live. But our job is just recording all of the mailing addresses in New York City, so they can send them a questionnaire for the census in 4 years. If this guy wants to write down that he's a Native-Born White Male I don't think anyone would catch him.

But yeah, his fears are reasonable. In the 1940s the Census handed over the addresses of all the Japanese-Americans.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #679 on: December 09, 2016, 01:28:11 pm »

There was some drama here this year because there was a decision to stop de-identifying data as thoroughly in this year's census (my understanding so they could provide longitudinal data going forward) and a lot of people didn't fill it out as a protest thing. Or at least a lot of people said they wouldn't do it on facebook. At the time those fears seemed a bit abstract but then there are people talking about muslim registries, so who knows anymore.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #680 on: December 09, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »

I am delighted that I got to speak to Henry Rollins, even if by proxy, and that was a solid answer.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #681 on: December 09, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »

When there's an e-mail from the building manager saying "All workspace moves have to be coordinated by me," you know that means someone just up and moved themselves into an empty cubicle.

The move from my office to a cube farm is taking some getting used to. I can overhear a lot of extraneous conversations. On the other hand, today I spontaneously went to lunch with co-workers for the first time in years.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #682 on: December 10, 2016, 05:16:14 am »


The move from my office to a cube farm is taking some getting used to.

You get used to it.  It does have some ok aspects.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #683 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:53 pm »

My company got acquired by Titanic MegaCorp, Inc over the summer, and finally the shoe has dropped.  We are contracting our campus footprint from 3 buildings to 2, after shedding about 15% of the personnel over the last 6 months.  Since I currently possess 2 double-size cubicles worth of real estate, my fiefdom is going to contract from about 600 square feet (no lie) to a portion of this veal pen abomination:

We are getting more "collaboration space" - lounge-y type areas with white boards and maybe image projection, and I spend a lot of the day in the labs, but this rearrangement is going to suck.
In addition, since the buildings are going to be renovated in the process, we are going to play musical chairs for 3 months: Building A moves to Building C, while A gets renovated; they move back and Building B moves to Building C while it gets renovated, then we move back and Building C gets closed.  We're also losing our onsite catered lunch for a lesser option TBD.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2016, 12:28:01 am »

We are getting more "collaboration space"

I think that's corporate code for "your cube partners are going to be so annoying and distracting you'll need to wear headphones at all times in order to get any work done."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #685 on: December 14, 2016, 02:20:13 pm »

That is damn similar to what I've just gone through. Get ready to throw away a bunch of old crap and still have too much stuff to move.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #686 on: December 17, 2016, 12:40:50 am »

I got my first paycheck, and of course it's only for 1 week of work. I was flat broke ($12 in my bank account) so this feels really good.

Now I find out that the guy I thought was taking over my bedroom in Philly fell through, so I'm on the hook for $400 (for some weird reason rent is due on the 15th of every month, so, yesterday). Looks like a couple more weeks of good Financial Discipline practice.

I am telling myself that if I am going to be making a lot more money than I've ever made, but living in a very expensive place, it's good that this is forcing me to get in the habit of eating meals at home, finding free events to attend, etc. But I'm getting some serious... what is the non-vulgar term for "blue balls."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #687 on: December 17, 2016, 09:54:49 am »

what is the non-vulgar term for "blue balls."

I think blue balls IS the non vulger term. What would another option be, horny? Wait, that's not right. Horny is a strong desire to have sex, blue balls is expecting to have sex and being denied. I'm not sure there is a clinical term for that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #688 on: December 17, 2016, 05:04:21 pm »

Well, I meant a term that didn't refer to anatomy or sex at all. I guess just frustrated!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:56 pm »

Great moments. Spent too much on XMas presents and then the electric bill came, I was down to $20 in my checking account. Not great. And then I remembered those board games I sold on Amazon... did the money from that ever show up? Dug around and found out that every time I've sold anything on Amazon, the money was being put in my account at a St. Louis Credit Union that I forgot I had (in fact, I thought I closed it). So I happened upon $200. For once my stupidity has worked out.

Also: just now on the street a man got in my face and said "FUCK YOU, YOU F***** N*****." So I think I'm a provisional official New York resident, at least.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71   Go Up