This week:
Saw two great movies (Look Back in Anger and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner) both in a series of British "kitchen sink realism" films at the artsy theater. Both were so good that I had the overwhelming satisfied "I'm glad I'm alive in a world with art like this" feeling.
Another film series, of all cyberpunk, starts tonight and I'm gonna see some of those, too. Movies are really expensive but I guess I could be going out to clubs and buying cocktails. At least with a movie my self esteem isn't riding on the outcome (and let's be honest, there are not really positive outcomes that could occur from me going to a club alone).
There was a fire in the laundromat below my apartment. I guess it wasn't too severe because our fire alarm didn't even go off, and the laundromat was open the next day. I think lint caught on fire in a dryer and they just blasted it with a fire extinguisher. The fire engine came though, that was exciting.
I am feeling a lot of anxiety about my job. They seem to think I'm doing OK, but I waste so much time every day because of my disorganized brain. Like, maybe a job where I need to focus carefully and organize/document my process is not a good fit for me. We also got a "don't worry..." email from the head of the department, where she said that we are going to have enormous budget cuts under any possible Trump budget. We get a lot of money from the federal government, not to mention that the city does and is way more likely to cut nerds drawing maps than firefighters or cops.
And finally: I've reached my limit with online dating. I need a break. This week I was supposed to meet a woman who seemed really great and she cancelled at the last minute after I got all excited. And didn't respond to my "that's OK, I understand having to work late, when should we reschedule for?" text. But I definitely need something to put that time and energy into that isn't video games, books, or movies. I'm getting solitary and weird.