Thanks everyone. It felt really bad because I felt like all of my fears (that I'm not good enough for this job, that I'm not contributing, etc) came to pass. This was not at all what was going on (well, maybe a little on the limited contribution front) but it felt that way. I really do not think my boss could have made it any more clear that he isn't trying to get rid of me.
I came home and had a great conversation with my GF where she asked me "what got you into urban planning? Who are the people in urban planning that are doing stuff you think is cool?" I think she knew the answer, which is, people who do the stuff that I do, but better. People who take weird datasets or maps or whatever and come to interesting conclusions with them. So clearly leaving for the Brooklyn office is not the solution-- the solution is to tell my boss that yes, I want to buckle down and learn a lot of new stuff. I have a list of proposed projects:
- (as he suggested) work with the tech/website people on their next cool mapping app. Learn how to take the work we do and make it accessible for the public to fiddle with and learn from. I think he is majorly underestimating what the learning curve on this would be but I would love to be able to pitch in.
- Dig into all the crazy historical data we have about the city sitting on old hard drives or in old filing cabinets and see what we can learn from it. Find interesting datasets, weird stuff from the past, etc, and write reports on them. There is one particular dataset we have of the "building typology" of every building in the city that I am thinking of.
- There is a big report we do every 10 years about what the newest census tells us about immigration to NYC. It's a 100-something page book and it's amazing... but why don't we do mini reports about other topics? I would learn how to analyze data with small-scale projects, produce reports on interesting topics that would be useful to other planners and the public. The goal here would be to learn modern data analysis tools so that when the 2020 Census results come out, I will have the experience and tech framework set up to rapidly produce reports to let people know what we've learned.
Currently our department pretty much does everything in giant excel files (or SPSS, which is like the demon child of excel and normal programming from what I can tell). My friend who is a "data journalist" was telling me about a website she's building to track the results of the midterms. Everything is all set up so that when results start coming in, they can instantly display them on maps and graphs that are generated by the code she prepared in advance. Doing that with the census seems to make a lot of sense, and seems doable since we know what format it will be in, just not what the actual numbers will be. - I mentioned to a coworker that I'm brainstorming projects to improve my technical/analysis skills and he threw out like 5 ideas that are... lower hanging fruit compared to learning entire new programming languages etc. So maybe I can do a combination of one of the above things and some of the more short-term skill building things he suggested.
Also, with regards to the math-brained thing, I still think I can't get to the level of my colleagues who have literal statistics PhDs, or my neurotic coworkers who are detail oriented to a level I am not capable of being. I make a lot of mistakes and get turned around and myopic. It's just how my brain works. But I think that I can learn some cool creative new shit, shake things up a little, and hopefully they will give me the mathematical guidance to make sure it all comes out rigorous and up to our standards. I also think that I need to mentally separate the two parts of doing statistics:
1. grasping advanced theories and applying them in novel ways (the phd stuff that I will leave to my boss and the woman in line to be his successor)
2. mastering a technique, turning it into a repeatable process, eventually getting to the point where I understand the process enough to improve it or apply it in a novel way.
I can definitely do #2, and can turn it into a transferable skill.