Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 72633 times)

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #960 on: August 22, 2018, 11:54:37 am »

My coworker (who transferred to another section to get away from this kind of passive-aggressive shit show) asked, none of this came up on your yearly review?? And she's right, it didn't. Something-- fiscal stuff?-- changed and suddenly they have all these issues with my work.

Which is why you shouldn't let this sort of thing affect you too much, self-imagewise.

Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 22, 2018, 11:59:07 am »

I feel like "Show initiative" is, like, always a trick question. I have had more than one job where they hated it when I "showed initiative." It's definitely not always a positive. And if like you said, everything was fine at your yearly review and something else changed that isn't about you and they're looking for a way to say that now you are a problem, "show initiative" is a good one to pick on because it's so amorphous, there's no way to define the right degree of it or whether you are showing it about what they think are the right things.

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Asherdan

• Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 672
  • later gators
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 22, 2018, 04:21:23 pm »

Yeah, you've been there two years and now you have lots of the type of issues that require serious consideration of your realignment? Either something changed and you're the screw-job recipient or they managed your growth poorly.

Either way, pretty sure I'd not want to be there.
still wants to fuck on the floor and break shit

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 480
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #963 on: August 31, 2018, 12:35:14 am »

Went on vacation, and, of course, got sick the first day. Tried very hard not to ruin it for the GF but obviously someone who wants to sleep and not sit on the hot beach was a bit of a drag. Ugh.

Maine is very good. Not excited to go back to work.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #964 on: September 01, 2018, 12:59:52 am »

My boss made a weird statement as I was leaving work on friday-- "you know this is all about the civil service rules, right? do you get that?"-- I was taken aback and said I had some questions but would ask him when I got back in town. Now we spoke and I still don't really get it. Because the system makes no logical sense and he kept giving me meandering answers. I'm sure the civil service system is the way it is as a result of a bunch of changes that made sense at the time, but "we offer a test at random intervals and then only people who take the test can have job security, and the test applies to a bunch of really different jobs that have the same official title for no reason" is hard to justify.

But, basically, the story is that because of the way I was hired I am "provisional," and at my 2 year anniversary I have to be reviewed in some way. They have to make an argument that even though I am "provisional" they should not hire one of the high-scoring people they "should have" hired because I am so necessary and skilled especially for this position. So, because I am not some specially skilled uber-mathematician, I am "vulnerable" to being replaced by someone with a higher civil service test score than me. I tried to ask how transferring me to another division would solve this and he went on, again, about how he wants me to be happy and productive at work. Not helpful. So I am requesting to speak to an HR person soon.

(I have confirmed the rough outline of how the civil service system works with other people at work-- kind of funny that nobody mentioned I was provisional and had no job security when they were bringing me on...)

Of course, we have no competent HR people, because the city hiring process takes months and any competent, intelligent person with other options would not put up with that. Right now the HR department is running on about half the staff it should be for this reason.

Mostly I'm mad that, for some reason, when confronted with the boss himself I just silently nod and say "ok" and cannot summon the energy or clarity of thought to express myself. It's like all of my thoughts turn to soup and I can't even absorb what he's saying to me. This makes it feel like this situation is all pretty clearly my fault. If I had said, "no, it isn't that I dislike this kind of analytical work, it's that you have been giving me data entry and formatting tasks that require no intelligence or insight. When you give me things to do like [particular projects I've worked on] I find it interesting and engaging" this would be a different situation. But as soon as I'm face to face with him I feel both overwhelmed and "why would I give these pricks the satisfaction of seeming like I want this job."

He keeps repeating that I need to figure out what I really want to do. But the answer, really, is "this but better." I want to use data to understand cities and make them work better. I do not want to do what he has described my future in the division as-- double-checking excel sheets.

Been a while since an inev freakout, huh
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:56:18 am by theinevitable »
Social pressures exist

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #965 on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:43 am »

Hm. There is a job opening in the department I'm totally unqualified for... that I would be qualified for if I'd kept doing programming stuff consistently instead of stopping for 2 years. This is, at least, an insight about what stuff I need to learn. I'm going to speak to the woman who is heading up this new subsection-- "data engineering." Although this is more about processing data and getting it to the people who need it, less about using the data to do cool stuff. But at least skill and resume building, unlike data entry.
Social pressures exist

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 01, 2018, 07:10:40 pm »

The bright side of all this is now you understand why it's all suddenly happening, because of the civil service rules thing. All the non-bright-sides, like how somehow this wasn't clear to you when you were hired, well, no use crying over spilt milk. The thing to do now is stop expecting the rules to make logical sense, stop wasting energy obsessing over whether something is your fault, and figure out how to work the system.

Have you thought about trying to write down the coherent thoughts that turn to mush when you are talking face to face, and sending them in an email?
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #967 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:24 am »

Yes, that is a really good idea. I emailed a few people who head up other sections of the department asking to talk about open positions. And trying to figure out who in HR can explain the civil service thing.

Thanks for listening (reading) and for the good point.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:07:02 am by theinevitable »
Social pressures exist

Lister

• Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 11, 2018, 01:37:09 am »

Today I remembered that this place is a thing. Not gonna lie, it made me feel good to see people I knew posting here, even if it's sporadic.

You guys are the best.
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 606
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 11, 2018, 06:15:57 am »

Lister old friend. This has become a place where you say the things you can't say on Facebook. You don't have to worry about what your family, or friends, or co-workers think.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 11, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

It's the secret internet hideout!
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • later gators
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 11, 2018, 04:16:11 pm »

Come hide with us, we have Honeycomb!

Also, there's something to Paul's take.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #972 on: September 13, 2018, 02:24:35 am »

The job stuff is still shitty.

I met with the woman in charge of the cool programming job (still in the city planning office). It is definitely over my head FOR NOW but we talked about what I can work on to get there.

It was my GF's birthday and I got her a simple necklace and an Instant Pot. She is wearing the necklace and we are cooking lots of good stuff in the instant pot. Mission accomplished.
Her mom said she feels JEALOUS that some guy who's known her for a year gave her the best birthday presents. That's right lady, there's a new hoss in town
Social pressures exist

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • later gators
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 13, 2018, 02:56:51 pm »

I gotta say, an Insta-pot is a pretty good take.

Do a corned beef in it and then pull the beef and use the juice to do the veg. Hella tastynessss.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 606
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 14, 2018, 01:53:58 pm »

That's right lady, there's a new hoss in town

Well Shit, Goddamn, Inev's a Man!
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 68   Go Up