Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161714 times)

0 Members and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1050 on: January 08, 2021, 10:46:59 pm »

So the board has been up for a while now. Is it possible that this is evidence that the singularity is... here?

Or we're just figments of wombat's imagination and maybe you're on another creative streak wombat?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1051 on: January 09, 2021, 02:01:26 am »

On the one hand that theory sounds totally logical to me but on the other hand it came back after I had finally given up on it entirely, so I just don't know what to think.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1052 on: January 10, 2021, 06:27:02 pm »

Sometimes you just need to set a project down and walk away for a bit.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1053 on: January 31, 2021, 05:10:30 am »

I live in Ventura County California.  I’m engaged the second time (never married).  I quit trying to be in bands and quit doing drugs and got a real job.  I quit smoking but the started vaping after a while.  Then started smoking.  Then stopped again but kept vaping.  Idk, I guess that’s it.  What’s up with you all?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1054 on: January 31, 2021, 05:21:12 pm »

What's your job? I think I remember you used to work with cats, which is just the sort of job I'd give to a character.

For my part, I'm actually spending less time writing about animals, because writing is no way to make a damn living and is too stressful in pandemic times, and more time editing translations of Japanese light novels.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1055 on: February 01, 2021, 01:34:15 am »

Keith what up! I'm a stay-at-home dad right now, have a two-year old little guy. After 12-13 years in financial services I was miserable so we decided we could survive on one income at least for a while. It's been pretty great for the most part. Glad to hear you're doing well.

What are you listening to these days?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1056 on: February 04, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »

It turns out maybe contact tracing during a pandemic is not a chill way to do your first techie job. Mostly 50-60 hour weeks and intermittent 70 hour ones in the past couple months. The good news is I get overtime so I’m getting biweekly paychecks that are more than what I used to make in a month.

Also we’re getting a dog. No leads yet but finally got written permission from the landlord. He’s a real piece of work but after some tense phone calls the leaks in our ceiling are fixed and the heat is on so I’m good. Maybe Suspiciously Large Apartment in Brooklyn is a hint that some struggles are coming. It’s cute but sometimes hard not to think about how in Philly or Chicago we could have a way nicer place for a lot less $$$.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1057 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:54 pm »

Congrats and good luck, because it's hard to get a dog right now! My friend in Brooklyn just got one and it was crazy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1058 on: February 07, 2021, 08:11:12 pm »

Yup it’s ridiculously difficult from what I’ve heard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1059 on: August 16, 2021, 07:03:17 pm »

Wombat, you asshole, quit imagining such adventurous weeks for me!

New Dept. Head quit, means I'll have to keep doing my job and his for the foreseeable future.
I was so mad I set up two interviews with other companies.
Uncle Don died. We've been looking out for him since Aunt Connie and his son died with 90 days of each other several years back.
We took Spouse out to dinner for her b-day and it turned out pretty enjoyable.
Got advised a requisition was being opened for a new Dept. Head and my senior director, who is the hiring manager on it, told me to apply for it.

So I guess still keep the two interviews next week, but what a dang whipsaw.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1060 on: August 16, 2021, 10:38:29 pm »

The board was down for so long, all I could do was imagine what you guys were all doing. Guess I got carried away.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]   Go Up