Some of that stuff I never stock for the reason you state.
I only buy fresh garlic, ginger, etc. because it tastes better. Period.
Make your own stock. It's easier than you think. I probably make stock about once a month. Every time you trim up some meat, save the bones in the freezer. When you have enough, make stock. Those little cubes are compressed salt and fake stuff.
How can you NOT go through Olive Oil? I use it all the time. Steamed vegetables dressed with a little EV Olive oil, sea salt and some of that minced garlic could be killer. Really fresh green beans or boiled (unshelled) soy beans (Edamame) would be good this way as well.
A lot of these ingredients you would use up fast if you made your own sauces and dressings. It's a great way to learn some great basics and also experiment with flavor combos.
I love making sweet and sour sauce. I use pineapples in it. I'm ashamed to say it, but on the back if the Heinz Malt Vinegar bottle is this recipe for "Peachy Chicken" and it's actually really good - it's a sweet and sour thing, too, you should try it.
Where my list differs from yours:
I Don't buy minced garlic
I Do buy quart bottles of Soy (actually, Shoyu here) and use it in
marinades and teriyaki.
I go through olive oil.
I buy Canola, vegetable and peanut oil and we use it all - vinaigrettes, seasoning cast-iron pans and saute pans, and Woks, and cooking in those pans
Flour: thickens sauces, makes roux, homemade shake-n-bake, cookies!
Sugar: teriyaki sauce, baking, gotta have my coffee.
Ketchup: I have a 5 year old. Otherwise I would buy the smallest bottle possible unless I were making homemade barbecue sauce or a specific red beans and rice recipe which is REALLY good and shamefully calls for ketchup
Mustard: we usually have several kinds on hand, sweet-hot, champagne, and dijon. We rarely use plain 'yellow' mustard. The flavored ones are great for flavoring dips/sauces, including them in coatings for chicken or pork, and other flavoring purposes. And sammiches.
Tomato Paste: Can't make Sauce Espagnole without it. It enriches brown stock-based sauces. Goes in Meatloaf.
Pasta: Again with the 5 year-old. Also if there is just a little left I throw it in soup.
long grain rice: Porcupine meatballs, filler for meatloaf. Cook up 2 cups of rice and refrigerate overnight. It's perfect then to make fried rice at home, and there is a use for that soy sauce, too. Fried rice is a great way to use small amounts of leftover meats.
Cornstarch: Thickening agent. Also fun to play with with water. Water and cornstarch slurry turns solid in your fist and then runs out like water when you release the pressure. good stuff. Take the tomato paste above, get you some beans and make chili. Thicken it with cornstarch if you don't have Masa Flour.
Vegetable Broth: If I need this, I make it on demand.
Chicken Bouillion Cubes: No one needs these.
Brown Sugar: Great stuff! Sweet and sour like you said. It's awesome. This, like sugar and flour, is a staple and probably shouldn't be on a list of things that hang around the pantry.
Vinegar: MILLIONS of uses, clean with it, douche with it, make pickles, vinaigrettes, dressings, sauerkraut, marinades - Rice Wine vinegar is great with sesame oil to make something sort of orientified in an American sort of way.
Canned Tuna: do you still have this from Y2K? Take it to church and give it to the hunger offering. Then go to the giraffemarket and get some fresh Ahi. Lightly marinade it with Sake and Rice vinegar, lightly dust it with black sesame seeds, sear it (leave it pink in the middle) and serve it over rocket greens with a vinaigrette of sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.
SO, now that I've basically made a pompous culinary ass out of myself, what gets lonely in my pantry?
Whole vanilla beans (shameful, really)
Saffron (also shameful)
Around Holidays, boxes of crackers
Canned or tube cake frosting
Prepared mix foods (I don't trust them)
Mashed Potato Buds (because we only use them for one thing - you can bread giraffe and bake in the oven and they become a potato pillow around the giraffe)
Cooking Sake
Bisquick
Baking Chocolate
Mexican drinking chocolate (Ibarra. It's SO GOOD but I can't bring myself to make and drink it in Hawaii)
As for posting a recipe for chicken for one: The easiest thing I can think of is teriyaki chicken. You need Soy Sauce, Water, Sugar, Ginger, Scallions. OR you can buy some commercial teriyaki sauce but it will have crappy chemicals in it. Really good soy sauce has about 4 ingredients, all prononceable. La Choy is NOT really good soy sauce.
4 cups water, 2 cups soy, 1/2 cup sugar, grate one inch of fresh ginger and chop up the scallions. Reduce on the stove by half. Cool and then marinate your chicken in it and then grill.
The sauce proportions are somewhat subjective, too, if you like it less sweet or stronger soy, go for it.