Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small  (Read 15833 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2004, 02:16:57 am »

Quote from: "jough"
See, this is fine, and you got some good responses to it, I think.  No one was making fun of your pseudo-intellectual ramblings.  In fact, they spurred some discussion.


Actually, I did. Not so much the content which was find in and of itself, but the bizarre idea that one would use a public message board as a reference of some type. The world is moving that way, I guess, but I don't think that day has come. Hopefully you didn't take it too personally - I would have pretty much laughed at anyone who would put such a thing on a resume or application and then let the rest of us keep posting after it. It's a recipe for disaster.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2004, 02:18:27 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And Jough, too, since we get to play stickball in his vacant lot. And he's nice enough to mow it for us.


That is one of the finest euphomisms for fora I have ever witnessed.
Stunning.
And yea, I'm with them too. And hell, since I spurred this whole thing off, I really was just saying it's a bit confusing when people edit posts so far after. I can understand amending them, but deleting the whole thing... If you didn't want to do it straight off, why not just leave it.
There are things I'd want to delete, but I've said them now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2004, 02:35:42 am »

See?  Isn't it nice when we can discuss differences of opinion like reasonable adults?  

I think that, while it's inconvenient for everyone else, if someone chooses to edit a post long after it's been out there, it's still the poster's right to do so if s/he chooses.  I mean, it's the poster's words, and I know that I'm anal-retentive enough to want to make sure that people are reading things as I intend them to be read.  Sometimes, when a thread is unearthed after having been dormant for a while, some people might find it neccesary to edit an old post to clarify or even revise an opinion.  Sure, it sucks for the rest of us, but really, it's not the end of the world either way.  Transience  is the way of the web.  

AFAIK, there's no way to set a time limit on post editing or deleting.  It's all or nothing.  I vote to keep things the way they are.  

And given that this is not a democracy, the only other person here who gets a vote is Jough.  PM me, baby.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2004, 02:45:56 am »

Quote from: "The Keeper of the Vacant Lot"

I wait with baited breath.


Technically, I think one waits with "bated" breath -- bated being an archaic word for held or light breath.  So the idiom isn't really about having a bad case of nightcrawler whiff.

/pedanticism
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 03:19:40 am »

Actually, either spelling is correct.  I was using the 2nd definition of bait.

/pedanticism

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 03:38:50 am »

So your breath is enticing, then? That must be nice.

/pedantic smoker
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 06:41:17 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Noone has criticized the content . . .


Typically, this first word is broken into two, as in "no one."

/pendanticism

This is so dangerous to do, because after doing so you have to scour the hell out of your posts.

OT: I once said "lighten up, Francis" to a person who was getting hella pissed at me and he nearly killed me. But oh my sweet Lord it was funny.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 06:47:38 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
OT: I once said "lighten up, Francis" to a person who was getting hella pissed at me


MY FATHER SAYS EVERYTHING'S NEGOTIABLE, PEE-WEE
(snip)
OH REALLY? WHERE ARE THEY HOSIN' HIM DOWN
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 07:54:49 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"


I think that, while it's inconvenient for everyone else, if someone chooses to edit a post long after it's been out there, it's still the poster's right to do so if s/he chooses.  I mean, it's the poster's words, and I know that I'm anal-retentive enough to want to make sure that people are reading things as I intend them to be read.  Sometimes, when a thread is unearthed after having been dormant for a while, some people might find it neccesary to edit an old post to clarify or even revise an opinion.  Sure, it sucks for the rest of us, but really, it's not the end of the world either way.  Transience  is the way of the web.  
.


I disagree wholeheartedly. The problem with the many people of the current generation IS that 'everything is transient' , you don't have to be held accountable for your words or your opinions, and that everything but everything is subject to revision. If you WANT to alter your opinion or viewpoint, OWN UP TO IT and MAKE A NEW POST. Otherwise, your words become, in the long run, meaningless because, well, basically they are subject to retraction or revision at any time. I would much more readily take a person seriously who realizes that they are wrong, or out of line, or rude and acknowledges it and makes it right.

It's not the end of the world, sure. But it's sure a bad communication behavior to support.

/curmudgeon
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2004, 02:27:15 pm »

What Dawg said.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2004, 02:33:07 pm »

What Tittiesh said!

(Oh, and you really touched Trebek? But you didn't manage to infiltrate his secret layer and destroy his plans for world domination?)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2004, 03:26:29 pm »

Ooh, CTY.  They had their summer programs at my college.  I DJ'd one of their parties once.  It was weird.  Their favorite songs were "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "American Pie."  Little geeks, they were.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2004, 04:21:16 pm »

Thought The First:
I'm not entirely sure I care about editing old posts. Personally, I'm not going to do it -- it's both classier and easier to just repost saying "yeah, I sux'd the coq on that one" when called on an old post than to edit it, in my mind -- but I don't exactly care if other people edit their own posts. I guess my final decision comes down to admin efficiency; if there's no function already existing, shove it.

Thought the Second:
The new saddest Internet thing may be someone using a message-board post as part of a CTY application, but it may in fact be the same person being indignant about their right to do so. It's an open question.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2004, 04:44:55 pm »

I think our point was that citing a cartoon's message board as a "publication" in a job or school application is pretty stupid, although not as much so as complaining when people actually *reply* to your post and then ruin it for you.

But MP gave us all a good chuckle with is "to the crows with you" line, and then a heartier guffaw getting INDIGNANT up in this bitch when we (rightfully) made light of his stupidity.

I mean, if you don't want people to laugh at you, don't post something stupid on the internet.  

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS, PEOPLE?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
echoes of the classical tradition in Nate Small
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2004, 05:35:18 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I mean, if you don't want people to laugh at you, don't post something stupid on the internet.  

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS, PEOPLE?


1,535 and counting.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up