Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ache-Head DC Field Trip  (Read 21143 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2004, 11:09:39 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
Check this out for a pick.


That's not a c*ck, that's a high-tech-superhero-utility-belt-suction-powered grappling hook.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2004, 11:22:11 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
I can't see or hear of an echidna without commenting that the echidna's c*ck has four heads. Check this out for a pick.

Please don't ask why I know this.


And I can't hear the word echidna without triggering this:

Mammal, mammal
Their names are called
They raise a paw
The bat, the cat
Dolphin and dog
Koala bear and hog
The fox, the ox
Giraffe and shrew
Echidna, caribou
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2004, 12:58:37 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
I can't see or hear of an echidna without commenting that the echidna's c*ck has four heads. Check this out for a pick.



Oh my god.

I should warn the Field Trip patrons then all that we don't have the echidna anymore, and I never saw its c*ck in all the years I knew it so I wouldn't have been able to show it to you anyway.  The echidna has moved to Los Angeles to use his c*ck to better advantage - he was alone here, but in LA he's supposed to be getting it on with all kinds of fine southern Californian echidna ladies.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2004, 01:15:35 am »

Oh, that's it.  No echidna, I'm not coming.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2004, 01:21:49 am »

Aw, too bad, because this post had almost made me decide to show you the steam tunnels after all -

Quote from: "jough"
I used the word "bitingest" today in a sentence.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2004, 06:16:44 am »

Those mole rats are profoundly unnerving. It's the teeth -- definitely the teeth.

Also, the rock hyrax appears to be what happens when the Damaraland mole rat forsakes its brave predatory heritage and becomes fat and complacent. Or possibly the adult form of the rodent of which the Damaraland mole rat is the larva -- either or.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2004, 08:54:36 pm »

I'm back.  

I thought I told y'all I was going to be away last week?  

We're on for , I'm still planning on Meskerem afterwards (that's the Ethiopian place, supposedly very good but I have to admit I've never had Ethiopian before and I, myself, find it mildly frightening).  Y'all will know me when you see me, I will be the one suddenly remembering that the reason I have internet friendships is that I'm terrified of people, and attempting to hide behind a goateed man who is desparately trying to reassure me that this message board is most likely not populated by axe murderers.  Alternatively, look for someone breathing into a paper bag.  

Also, I just got new glasses.  They're purple.

I plan to hit the actual zoo at 2, which puts me at the SMH by quarter after (if Wombat is to be believed *sidelong glance*).  We'll wait 'til about 2:25 for any stragglers.  Can we get a final head count on who's in?  PM me -- it's easier to count that way.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2004, 09:02:43 pm »

Wombat has short legs but walks real fast.  However, she has a very poor sense of time, and has no idea how long you will be sidetracked at the capybaras.  Or perhaps you will be waiting to go see them with her afterwards.

I will PM you all with my phone number at work and my real name.  While I would just as soon be called Wombat, if anyone at work hears this, I will never hear the end of it.

I am assuming that jl, jough and cortjstr are the ones who need this info, if there's anyone else, let me know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2004, 09:13:37 pm »

But I can still call you "wombat" in the steam tunnel, right?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2004, 09:20:12 pm »

This probably only applies to JL but the metro system has a poorly advertised Day Pass. It's like $6 for unlimited rides for one calendar day. Normally it costs $1.20 to get from any stop in the city to any other stop in the city (more during rush hour) and it goes up from there if you go into VA or MD.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2004, 09:45:39 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
This probably only applies to JL but the metro system has a poorly advertised Day Pass. It's like $6 for unlimited rides for one calendar day. Normally it costs $1.20 to get from any stop in the city to any other stop in the city (more during rush hour) and it goes up from there if you go into VA or MD.


Thanks for the tip!  I had no idea.  I'll check this out.  Do you get them at the regular pass kiosks?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2004, 09:51:56 pm »

You can buy them at the fancier kiosks (they are labeled "pass/farecards" as opposed to just "farecards" and usually have more buttons) or online. You one day doesn't start until you actually feed the pass into a turnstile so you can buy them ahead of time.

http://www.wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2004, 09:56:45 pm »

Neato peato!  We'll have to get them when we arrive at Union Station tomorrow, but it will be convenient to buy several the first day and not have to worry about it again.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2004, 10:00:22 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Neato peato!  We'll have to get them when we arrive at Union Station tomorrow, but it will be convenient to buy several the first day and not have to worry about it again.


You might want to check the maps and consider your days. Because if you only take a couple of trips it would be cheaper to just pay the fares. But if you'll be ridin' all over the dang place sightseeing it would probably be worth it. Especially because DC cabs are a tremendous rip-off.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2004, 10:05:16 pm »

We have at least 3 days through which we'll be relying heavily on the metro.  I calculated estimated metro fares for these days when I made my budget, but I'll have to look them over again to be sure.  It may be more cost-effective to drop a couple of $20s in the machine tomorrow afternoon and get two farecards to use all weekend.  But I'll do the math again tonight with this new information.  

Man, oh, man, I'm neurotic.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up