Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004  (Read 10098 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2004, 04:03:48 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
How many of said huntin' dog songs include the much lamented death of the dog?  I'm guessing more than half.


Well let's see, we got 'The Huntin's Over For Tonight' which is really just about huntin' but the dogs play a role in it.  In one verse they tree a Bear and the menfolk thought it was a 'coon.  Hilarity ensued.  There's 'Old Rattler's Pup' Where Old Rattler is the greatest hunting dog of all time, but he's dead from the outset.  But it's a happy song about his pup who looks like he's gonna be as good as the old one.  Last but not least there is 'Old Towser' who is a ghost dog.  You see 'When the moon's just right in the holler at night you can still hear old Towser bay."  He died of old age, but this dog  wasn't much of a hunter like Old Rattler's Pup.  Apparently he "couldn't catch a 'coon who was chewing on his leg."

So I guess the answer to your question is 1/2 or 2/3rd's depending on how you look at it, but none of the songs are tear jerkers.  It's really hard to jerk tears with a banjo.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2004, 04:08:27 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Leave the banjo player on the list, August.

That is all.


You only like him because he's a noted cook.

I suppose you're a big Justin Wilson fan as well.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2004, 05:00:56 am »

To momentarily re-hijack this thread: best Doonesbury character? Legume, Duke's zombie alter-ego. Also, you have to give it up for Ch. Brown, what with the first comic featuring Sherman saying "Good ole' Charlie Brown . . . oh how I hate him."

Also, Flatt and Scruggs. (Note: not actually country, but oh-so-good.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2004, 05:06:37 am »

Grandpa Jones was really a cook?

You mean people really DID say "What's for dinner, Grandpa?"

Holy crap, I've been reduced to Hee Haw jokes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2004, 06:06:19 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
To momentarily re-hijack this thread: best Doonesbury character? Legume, Duke's zombie alter-ego. Also, you have to give it up for Ch. Brown, what with the first comic featuring Sherman saying "Good ole' Charlie Brown . . . oh how I hate him."

I thought it was "how I pity him?" Or am I wrong?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2004, 06:51:27 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, Flatt and Scruggs. (Note: not actually country, but oh-so-good.)

Did you ever know about the massive Flatt and Scruggs/Bill Monroe hatred thing that went on, apparently for most of the 20th century? If you read that Bill Monroe biography (damned if I know the title right now), there's like a full chapters-worth of documentation of how much they hated each other.
I found this all very interesting. However, I not only play mandolin, but also rarely go outside, so your mileage may vary.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2004, 07:28:50 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Leave the banjo player on the list, August.

That is all.


You only like him because he's a noted cook.

I suppose you're a big Justin Wilson fan as well.

~Paul


It's all about suspenders and porkpie hats...
I do like me Justin Wilson grub, I gaaaron-tee...

Did that Grandpa Jones Album you found happen to have his version of  "I'm my Own Grandpa" on it?


And for V-Adore....it was definitely, really, "How I hate him".
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2004, 03:41:54 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

And for V-Adore....it was definitely, really, "How I hate him".

I stand corrected. I believe I was corrupted by Andrew Farago's "T-Nuts," which used "how I pity him" as its punchline.

Mea culpa?
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2004, 08:28:53 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Look, we all have our own perfect examples of stuff-the-world-should-appreciated-never-having-existed.

My canidates for being expunged (since Jough kinda asked*):


big long list


My point here is, I don't wanna put up with Ray crankin' everything worthy of the crank.  I just want to imagine that he'll get around to 'em in his own good time.

*Gotta blame someone since it can't be MY fault!


yeah, he already did nancy, and doonesbury is good (as is zits) but anyhow, the reason that alot of those comics are bad is because they are put to the test of coming up with new material every day, and after a couple years it starts getting hard. really hard. so you rehash a couple old jokes, with a new spin. Some comics do it better than others, but you will find that EVERY comic does this. you name a comic that doesnt repeat a joke after two years, and I will give you a big fat prize you can eat. seriously, everyone in the webcomic forums is always looking for something new and different, why cant anyone just enjoy something for being GOOD. I mean this alice white 2002 cabernet sauvignon is the same australian wine it has been all year, but I still keep getting it when I dont want to risk having a bad wine, because I know its damn friggin good. okay done.
edit:
oops, didnt notice those other two pages of thread. sorry to go back on topic...
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up