I polished off "Fouc*ults Pendulum" on vacation and am nearing the end of "Madame Bovary." However, as much as I kick it old school style with the Flaubert-Dawg, I'm having some trouble because there have been so many crappy books that I've read where they've basically ripped off the premise of "Madame Bovary" (if you're really pretentious and bougeious, you suck), and I've also seen "Reality Bites", so my interest is waining. Also, I rocked the hell out of Rick Moody's book of short stories, and here's something interesting I've noticed: is it just me, or are a lot of contemporary authors basically having an "I'm tragic" competition? Don't get me wrong, Rick Moody is a really good author; however, out of the maybe 10 stories in the collection, at least 4 of them are pseudo-autobiographical, about dealing with his sister's death. He also has written a full memoir about, basically, dealing with his sister's death. But he's a good writer, and I'm cool with that, he's using writing to deal with a very difficult personal subject. The problem I see is, EVERY hot new author is tragic like this. Dave Eggers' parents died, and everything I've read by him deals with dealing with other people die, and that one Fry guy, who called Eggers a "pussy," he was in rehab and did tons of drugs, etc. I don't doubt the quality of their writing (well, in Fry's case, I do, because he is AWFUL), and obviously, when you're a writer, you're going to use really important things from your own life in your work. But I actually get the feeling that the literary estabishment is so in love with these tragic authors (there are a couple of others, it's not just Moody, Eggers and Fry), which makes me wonder if this is a symptom of a cultural lust for "problems" that we seem to have.
Or maybe I'm pissed off because I'm a crappy writer, and I envy their ability to routinely put words in coherent order on a page.
Thoughts?