Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45966 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2004, 08:18:53 pm »

When is someone going to do a movie based on the Foundation trilogy?
And where can I get my degree in psychomath?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2004, 11:50:22 pm »

I just finished the third in the Jasper Fforde series, The Well of Lost Plots, and it was delightful. Now I've moved on to more softball, irreverant British writing, with yet another Terry Pratchett novel. Damn, his stuff just never gets old.

By the way, both of my pet rats, Peaches and Dangerous Beans, are named after characters from a Terry Pratchett children's book.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2004, 02:40:02 pm »

Breaking the Tongue by Vyvyane Loh: finished this last night. Utterly incredible novel about Singapore just before and during the Japanese invasion in WWII. Best thing I've read in ages. This book is not getting the buzz it deserves, so here's me trying the word of mouth thing.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2004, 05:55:39 pm »

Despite the encouragement of this board, I have yet to make it much further into Rabbit Redux.  So, for them moment I'm reading Truman Capote In Cold Blood, and a book on Freudian psychology (it's a good laugh so far).
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2004, 07:10:23 pm »

i'm trying very hard to get into some Dean Koontz' book, but i got frightened after only the first chapter, wherein the main character is walking her dog and get's startled by her own shadow.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2004, 07:52:52 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i'm trying very hard to get into some Dean Koontz' book, but i got frightened after only the first chapter, wherein the main character is walking her dog and get's startled by her own shadow.

I've started about five Dean Koontz books and have yet to be able to finish any of them (except for Demon Seed, which I was stuck with on a bus and which was a bad laugh all the way through). I find him fairly overrated, myself, or maybe I just can't handle his style; I can't deal with the kind of author who gives characters names like "Enoch Cain, Jr." and "Thomas Vanadium" with a straight face and pretensions towards integrity.

On the scary-books front, I've gone on a Peter Straub bender this Spring Break. I've read Ghost Story and Magic Terror so far, and I'd recommend both; Magic Terror is an uneven but generally good short-fiction collection, albeit a little over-reliant on child abuse (and with a last story so over-the-top black-Melville that I couldn't finish it), while Ghost Story is an excellent novel provided you're willing to work with horror that doesn't always play fair and involves a lot of the typical genre tropes.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2004, 08:23:59 pm »

I can only hope to have a name as awesome as Thomas Vanadium in my next life.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2004, 08:54:09 pm »

I just picked up Wicked. Somebody gave it to my S.O. for her birthday but she won't get to it for a while so I snatched it up. It's interesting so far but the style is a bit strange.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2004, 09:04:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just picked up Wicked. Somebody gave it to my S.O. for her birthday but she won't get to it for a while so I snatched it up. It's interesting so far but the style is a bit strange.

Oh, lord, this reminds me -- a few days ago I finished reading The Wizard of Oz for a class. (No, I don't know why it was assigned.) It wasn't exactly what I expected, managing to be both simplistic and hallucinatorily overcomplicated.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2004, 09:14:30 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just picked up Wicked. Somebody gave it to my S.O. for her birthday but she won't get to it for a while so I snatched it up. It's interesting so far but the style is a bit strange.

Oh, lord, this reminds me -- a few days ago I finished reading The Wizard of Oz for a class. (No, I don't know why it was assigned.) It wasn't exactly what I expected, managing to be both simplistic and hallucinatorily overcomplicated.


Hopefully you aren't dealing with the silly gold-standard theory. I just word how much I'm missing by only having seen the movie twice and never having read any of the original books. I know there were like 15 which must've covered quite a bit.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2004, 10:55:48 pm »

The Oz books are excellent. I believe all of them are available from Project Gutenberg, too, so you can download them for free and read them on your computer or PDA.
Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2004, 11:51:27 pm »

I'm reading Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler.  It's hell of good so far, but I'm not really that far into it
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2004, 12:40:14 am »

You know what the saddest thing is?
I haven't read an actual book, aside from perusing stuff I've already read, in about two weeks. I used to polish off about two a week, but right now I feel absolutely no urge to start a new book. Conversely, I've been rerouting all o the money and brainpower I'd usually spend on new books to alt-country albums and comic books.
What should I read that will return me to the fold of....book....?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2004, 12:43:26 am »

I'm generally a reader, but because of my work I have to spend so much time on the web that for the past two years I've done most of my reading through either the screen or printouts of longer articles &c.

And I read a number of magazines every week.

However, I am currently reading Truffaut's Hitchcock book, which contains transcripts of interviews between the two which is just amazing.  I hate the format of the book, which is like a huge coffeetable book - but it does have many pretty pictures.

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2004, 12:51:33 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just picked up Wicked. Somebody gave it to my S.O. for her birthday but she won't get to it for a while so I snatched it up. It's interesting so far but the style is a bit strange.

Oh, lord, this reminds me -- a few days ago I finished reading The Wizard of Oz for a class. (No, I don't know why it was assigned.) It wasn't exactly what I expected, managing to be both simplistic and hallucinatorily overcomplicated.


Hopefully you aren't dealing with the silly gold-standard theory. I just word how much I'm missing by only having seen the movie twice and never having read any of the original books. I know there were like 15 which must've covered quite a bit.

I suspect we're going to be talking about it on some level, which fills me with exultation. Having gone to high school in Nebraska, I really need more education about William Jennings Bryan and his issues like I need a hole in the head.

That said, the original book (I haven't read any sequels, but I'm pondering it) is probably worth the (short) reading time. It's far less linear and more outright strange than the movie, including several odd digressions and stuff that just didn't get filmed.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Up