Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: You Bitches Are Expensive  (Read 7393 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 06:42:07 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
So post a click-through banner ad page for those not logged in, and hell, I wouldn't mind a banner where you've got the text ads now. Why not go with the Google text ads instead of what you've got going on, at least some of the time?


I like this idea -- how hard is this to do?  Alternately, I know that a lot of sites have banner ads on their free version and also offer an ad-free version for paid subscribers.  I'd gladly shell out for an ad-free version if it means easing the burden on poor old Jough.  

I personally think that banner ads on the main page would junk it up -- I like the sleek, minimalist look it's got now.  I'd prefer a pop-under (I've got MoZo, but I've already opted to allow pops on this site on account of the PM feature) or a clickthrough page, just to keep the crap "outside the gates," so to speak.  

Furthermore, I think Jough's right about the tip jar not being the most equitable way to collect.  There's a reason we periodically delete the accounts of serial lurkers: we don't like them.  They use more bandwidth as a group than the regulars, because there are just plain more of them -- I say we make them carry their load.  

And since, by definition, lurkers don't post, who's going to complain?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 06:57:20 pm »

Where do people who post rarely fall?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 06:59:44 pm »

People who rarely post are like those who stand out on the front lawn - they can still hear the music but they aren't eating all of the cocktail weiners either.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 09:15:56 pm »

Lots of blog ads so far. Ooo, and hosting.

Are these pay-by-impression or by-click?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 09:20:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Lots of blog ads so far. Ooo, and hosting.



So, we're attracting advertisers who are looking for people who spend a lot of time on the internet...  Hmm.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 09:22:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Are these pay-by-impression or by-click?


The Google ads are by click.

I'm hoping to get some by impression, because the deadbeats won't click through.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 09:46:47 pm »

External links on the board spawn new windows but the Google ads don't. You might want to change that for consistency's sake.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2004, 09:52:51 pm »

Jesus, I didn't even notice 'em till I read these comments.  So, I suppose they aren't too obtrusive.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 04:49:34 pm »

Wow, even hosting companies are hip to the inside jokes of webcomics?  What a world we live in.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 05:23:30 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
The google ad for this had a welcome line that cracked me up.

Goddamn Rockers.


If they host Diesel Sweeties I can die happy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 01:04:28 pm »

I have a new candidate for scariest ad:

Quote from: "Google Ads"
Influx Insights
Insight into exactly what makes a brand positioning street credible

What the hell is that? If they could only throw in "proactive" and "synergy" it would be the most non-sensical piece of advertising in history.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 08:55:30 pm »

It's advertising about advertising. "We'll tell you how to make your advertising campaign look genuinely hip instead of fake-hip!" Of course, I wouldn't take advertising advice from someone whose own advertising is as clumsy as that, assuming I had something to advertise.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2004, 04:52:25 pm »

So, jough - do we have to click on those ads for the forum to get the benefit? Or does the forum reap the rewards just by having them there when we go to the main page? Because I'd be glad to click on them (I just did) if we get more benefit - not that I'll probably ever avail myself of their product/service.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2004, 06:31:48 pm »

I don't make squat unless someone clicks on the ad.  I see lots of ads for "The Punisher" which is somehow a propos.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2004, 06:37:09 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I don't make squat unless someone clicks on the ad.  I see lots of ads for "The Punisher" which is somehow a propos.

If I click on the ad, and then hit the back button, which I would assume would refresh and therefore cost something, is it a net loss, or a gain, or what? Because I don't mind clicking away while I'm reading a book or something - it's no big deal if it'll help out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up