Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...  (Read 8531 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« on: March 20, 2004, 10:07:16 am »

There are many great Canadian musicians. You don't have to be greedy. Really, there are. I'm drunk, but I'm right.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:59:56 pm »

Viva Pat Travers.  And Kim Mitchell.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 11:33:31 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Viva Pat Travers.


BOOM BOOM!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 12:40:02 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Viva Pat Travers.


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 02:00:30 am »

Are we to assume that that is in fact Mr. Pat Travers with his hand on your chestal area?  Because I'm doing damn good to remember who the hell Pat Travers was (is) at all, much less what he looks like.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 10:05:32 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Viva Pat Travers.


Actually Pat Travers is about as Canadian as Neil Young.  He hasn't lived in Canada since he split for London at 17 years of age.  He's been living in Tampa Florida for the last 20 years or so.

I just got back from partying with some real Canadians, The Broken Social Scene from Toronto.  Dammit this show punished!

I thought Starlight might come out, but she didn't.  That's too bad, but you fucked up little sister, cause the Broken Social Scene were awesome.

~Paul















Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 03:28:40 pm »

Death Cock!!!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 01:14:45 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I just got back from partying with some real Canadians, The Broken Social Scene from Toronto.  Dammit this show punished!

I thought Starlight might come out, but she didn't.  That's too bad, but you fucked up little sister, cause the Broken Social Scene were awesome.


Heh... I replied to your PM before reading threads...
well, I would've gone if I had had further notice and a ride... it takes forever for me to make plans, yo (the tragedy of not being able to drive).

Anyway, glad to know it was a good show ..nice pictures :)

---

Anyway, yeah there's a few good modern bands from Canada... The Weakerthans, Do Make Say Think, Godspeed You! Black Emperor... probably there's more in my collection, but that's off the top of my head :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 01:28:13 am »

Broken Social Scene are indeed rad- I hope to end up seeing them as I live about 4 hours away from Toronto... I also like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, but I think the Weakerthans are teeerrrrible.  I saw them a few years ago as the opener's opener at a show, and I used to like Propagandhi, the band that spawned them, but eeugh.  Just not an emo person I guess.
Logged
goose means greedy

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 01:39:40 am »

I <3 the Weakerthan's newest, Deconstruction Site.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 03:44:22 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Broken Social Scene are indeed rad- I hope to end up seeing them as I live about 4 hours away from Toronto... I also like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, but I think the Weakerthans are teeerrrrible.  I saw them a few years ago as the opener's opener at a show, and I used to like Propagandhi, the band that spawned them, but eeugh.  Just not an emo person I guess.


Oh yeah, speaking of Godspeed.. forgot to mention A Silver Mt. Zion which I recently started listening to.  hm... well, their new EP 'Pretty Little Lightning Paw' I got off soulseek last week is good.

and as for The Weakerthans ...I don't think of them as emo :(
...I s'pose we all have our opinion on genres though... I just call it indie in general... don't go further than that.

JorgeFabregas - yessuh, I love their new one... it's called 'Reconstruction Site' though.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 04:10:55 am »

Er, thanks for deconstructing my web of deceit in that case.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 04:17:48 am »

And then, of course, there's Triumph.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 04:38:09 am »

No one's mentioned this fine Canadian group...









It's the Tragically Hip, people.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 04:54:18 am »

Quintessential "We're all related up here!" Anecdote:

I've irrationally hated the Tragically Hip since the third grade because I had a French teacher who always wore shirts promoting them, as she was the guitarist's aunt...




And my art teacher is married to Bruce Cockburn's brother."
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up