Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...  (Read 8575 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 05:09:31 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quintessential "We're all related up here!" Anecdote:

I've irrationally hated the Tragically Hip since the third grade because I had a French teacher who always wore shirts promoting them, as she was the guitarist's aunt...


I figured you would say you hated them because they are totally mainstream and no self respecting indy rocker such as yourself would be caught dead listening to corporate rock shit like the Tragically Hip.

As for me, I think their alright.  They put on a killer show at any rate.  I don't own any of their music and I only went to the show to make a Canadian Friend of mine jealous.  She's like their biggest fan, and she's seen them play like 10 times, but only ever in hockey stadiums or other such huge venues.  When they played here in a 500 capacity bar I knew I it would burn her britches up if I went and took a bunch of pictures.  Anyway, i'm glad I did because as I've stated they do put on a great show and also I met lots of fine Canadian folks.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 10:40:43 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I also like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, but I think the Weakerthans are teeerrrrible.


God's Pee kick ass. Discovered them not all that long ago and I was thouroughly taken by them.
Don't know this other bunch though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »

Another vote for GYBE.

They're no Rush, though.

Rush is playing Portland for their 30th anniversary tour pretty soon. I'm hoping they'll drag John Rutsey out for a set - whatever happened to that guy?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 05:47:01 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm hoping they'll drag John Rutsey out for a set - whatever happened to that guy?


I would imagine he has trouble sitting down due to thirty years of kicking himself in the ass for quitting Rush.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 05:58:13 pm »

Rush eh... I'm so not going there!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 06:35:04 pm »

Rush and GYBE are both pretentious in their own special way.

And you know, I certainly would never be accused of listening to pretentious music.  :)
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 07:58:00 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Rush eh... I'm so not going there!


Damn right you're not going there...for fear of being OBLITERATED BY THEIR GODLIKE GENIUS.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 09:45:41 pm »

Mutters under his breath callously.

I don't know. Maybe I have to give them another shot, but I doubt I have the courage or stamina to*.

*From what I remember of them, although to be fair that was them very early on. Never know, maybe they got a bit better.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 10:06:07 pm »

I can tolerate Rush insofar as I can zone out everything but Rutsey.*






*Incidentally, he's my friend Dave's neighbour...  This connection thing is getting ridiculous.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2004, 11:26:06 pm »

Mmmm...I just found out Rush is going to be in Charlotte in May.  

Geddy Lee is my hero.  That is all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2004, 11:29:46 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Geddy Lee is my hero.  That is all.


Although...
Every time anyone mentions Geddy Lee, I am forced to go and listen to The Mars Volta, since Cedric has a way of leaping around singing vaguely like Lee.
Only better. And better.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 01:26:50 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Every time anyone mentions Geddy Lee, I am forced to go and listen to The Mars Volta, since Cedric has a way of leaping around singing vaguely like Lee.
Only better. And better.


Here's a novel idea: when someone mentions Geddy Lee, rather than listening to the Mars Volta, maybe listen to, I don't know...RUSH!  It'll be a lot like listening to the Mars Volta, except with good songs and instruments that are in tune and played well!

Sincerely,
 
       Uncle Kranky#####
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 02:29:15 am »

Gotta side with Slink on this one.  Rush has just never done it for me.  Sorry.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 07:26:23 am »

Rush is bad, yes. But Rush (today's Tom Sawyer mean mean brine deener neener neener)  is sweet relief compared to Styx. As long as no one starts racking on about how Styx is their all time favorite Musical Experience Ever, I do not give a single shred of a good goddamn what you claim to like or dislike.

Just know this: being subjected to all seventy-four minutes of a homemade "Best of Styx" CD is really and truly worse than you'd ever imagine it being. It's like being buried up to your neck in cement with itchy corneas.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 10:06:30 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
It'll be a lot like listening to the Mars Volta, except with good songs and instruments that are in tune and played well!


Because, well, to paraphrase the perfect summation of Styx, listening to Rush would be similarly like being buried up to my neck in, well, sand maybe, and only my eyelids would be itchy.
Although maybe some ants might turn up.

I really don't like them! The Mars Volta on the other hand...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up