Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...  (Read 8537 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 12:49:06 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Just know this: being subjected to all seventy-four minutes of a homemade "Best of Styx" CD is really and truly worse than you'd ever imagine it being. It's like being buried up to your neck in cement with itchy corneas.




But Zartan, you see, I've got a secret, I've been hiding, under my skin....
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 01:18:14 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"

But Zartan, you see, I've got a secret, I've been hiding, under my skin....


Dun dun DUUUUuUNNNNN!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 01:46:29 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Just know this: being subjected to all seventy-four minutes of a homemade "Best of Styx" CD is really and truly worse than you'd ever imagine it being. It's like being buried up to your neck in cement with itchy corneas.


Oh Yeah?  How about this -- Some YAP brought in a "Best of Foreigner" CD to the workout room at our gym.  Now about every other time I go to lift, I get to grunt along with "I Wanna Know What Love Is (I Want You To Show Me)."  Meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 05:25:06 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Some YAP brought in a "Best of Foreigner" CD to the workout room at our gym.


An oxymoron if I ever heard one. The "Best of Foreigner" CD should be a blank disc.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 06:06:39 pm »

While scrolling through the music channels recently, I had the misfortune of seeing Foreigner doing an unplugged version of "Hot Blooded."  That hurt.

While reading a page on Something Awful, I found this timely quote:

At the core of their beings, a lot of indie-sheep really just want to listen to Pink Floyd like their dads. However, it's seen as direly uncool among indie circles to listen to prog-rock. Therefore, the indie scene had to invent its own hideous bastardization of prog-rock in order to satisfy the dark unconscious urges of all the hipsters out there. This is the only possible explanation for the success of The Mars Volta.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 06:55:30 pm »

I...I...I like Styx.

And Foreigner.

And Blondie

And Journey

And Bon Jovi.  I mean, I really like Bon Jovi.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 07:51:59 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
This is the only possible explanation for the success of The Mars Volta.


Except musically they're really fuck*ng good, and they write good music. Godamnit. That was written by some fuck*ng Pink Floyd fan right?
I fuck*ng hate Pink Floyd. I do on the other hand like the phenomenally better King Crimson (not the more recent stuff), so it can hardly be said that I like TMV because I can't stand prog. There are other bits of original prog I dig too.
Damn.

Oh, and come on - Zappa, as prog as you can get on occasion, and one of my all time favourite's, as well as my top guitarrist of everness.

Man, I'm musically pissed now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 08:02:03 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I...I...I like Styx.

And Foreigner.

And Blondie

And Journey

And Bon Jovi.  I mean, I really like Bon Jovi.


Hey, Styx was my first concert EVAR!  Rupp Arena in 1978, The Babies opened.  Of course, I think I quit taking Styx seriously in about 1979, but that's OK.  

And I will admit to owning Double Vision on 8-track.  And I kinda like hearing Blondie now that it's not so overexposed.

But Journey always set my teeth on edge.

And I'm proud to say that I love Pink Floyd.  And King Crimson.  And ELP.  And Yes.  I'm prog rock and I'm proud and you can just bite me if you don't like it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 08:28:18 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I...I...I like Styx.

And Foreigner.

And Blondie

And Journey

And Bon Jovi.  I mean, I really like Bon Jovi.


Hey, Styx was my first concert EVAR!  Rupp Arena in 1978, The Babies opened.  Of course, I think I quit taking Styx seriously in about 1979, but that's OK.  

And I will admit to owning Double Vision on 8-track.  And I kinda like hearing Blondie now that it's not so overexposed.

But Journey always set my teeth on edge.

And I'm proud to say that I love Pink Floyd.  And King Crimson.  And ELP.  And Yes.  I'm prog rock and I'm proud and you can just bite me if you don't like it.


Growing up and growing old are actually nearly the same thing when it comes to musical curmudgeonliness.  I got rid of Styx and Journey about the same time I routinely stood up to pee.

I still like Boston, though, so go figure.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2004, 08:33:21 pm »

See, I was born about the time August was getting over Styx.  I have to make up for lost time, here.  

Nevermind the fact that I've been listening to Rush since the seventh grade, and haven't gotten over it yet.  

I said, never mind!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2004, 08:38:52 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


I still like Boston, though, so go figure.


I still like Boston, mainly because Tom Scholz can play.  Granted, it's the same riff over and over, but it's a really good one.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2004, 08:39:45 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Some YAP brought in a "Best of Foreigner" CD to the workout room at our gym.


An oxymoron if I ever heard one. The "Best of Foreigner" CD should be a blank disc.


Kind of like that Bloodhound Gang track The 10 Greatest Things About New Jersey.

Although roughly 96% of my Foreigner knowledge comes from the Foreigner Belt episode of ATHF.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2004, 11:17:52 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Man, I'm musically pissed now.


Hee.  

Actually, I'm not even that huge a Rush fan, but I saw some of their recent concert DVD and was mightily impressed by how much ass they kicked for a bunch of guys who have to be in their fifties by now.  They've certainly aged more gracefully than, say, Van Halen.

King Crimson, of course, crap all over them from a height of several miles.   Floyd, eh,  love The Wall, enjoyed the Delicate Sound of Thunder video, that's about it for me.  Zappa's beyond prog, he's got his own thing going on.

I've seen Bon Jovi twice, through no fault of my own, and must say that they really put their all into performing.  I still don't own any of their records, but I'm not a hater.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2004, 12:06:13 am »

Don't Stop Believing, JL, that's all I can say.  No matter how much anyone may criticize your tastes, just Hold On To That Feeling...


I've got very mixed feelings about The Prog Issue, as a certified indie geek.  I like Barretty Pink Floyd, but I find the rest of it embarassing to listen to.  Not that I don't, for most of my friends are hippie-ish to one extent or another, but Piper at the Gates of Dawn (despite it having the Worst Name Ever) is the only album I listen to on my own time.

And I do on occasion dig King Crimson.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Canadia, prog rock, and not so much Neil Young...
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2004, 12:27:51 am »

And while we're on the prog-rock tip: Nursery Cryme by Genesis is quite a record.  Especially "The Musical Box."  Heartfelt and emotional, in a genre that 's not often noted for those qualities.

That is all.  For now.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up