Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Old but good expressions  (Read 20745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2004, 02:35:10 pm »

Soory, but D. Savage = cool. R. Hall = dork. No connection there, though I like the concept and expression Pegging. Seriously, though, if there's any value to the opinion of the person who actually started this topic, I was thinking of expressions from before the particular expresser was born, and if possible 50 - 100 years before the expresser was born, in general. Not that being off topic is bad, but for what it's worth, etc, etc.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2004, 02:47:40 pm »

Oooh!  I just remembered one that a friend's grandmother used to say.  

"Heavens to Betsy and Wild hosss' Buns!"  

I swear, it was a single expression.  And, for some reason, I always imagined it Initial Capped.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2004, 03:02:39 pm »

Heh. It's funny how the pendulum swings between eras. In our "po-mo, post-industrialist" society, the attenuation of meaning seems to have defined our entire existence. We've got a commercialized zeitgeist, if you will, something that has raided the past and laquered it until it's become sanitized and commercially-sanctioned. This in and of itself is NOT a new idea--volumes have been written about this search for meaning. Going back to Achewood, we'e pretty much recycled all that we can. Finding new meaning in phrases like, "Don't be a square" ('50s beatnik slang recycled by Tarantino in the early '90s) is fine and all, but it seems like we've got to start digging further and further in order to find something that seems fresh and original.


Quote from: "Ray"
Yeah, the whole “What Would Jesus Do” spin-offs are kind of tired at this point. I wouldn’t want to be thought of as a guy who used old ideas to promote himself.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Old but good expressions
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2004, 03:27:25 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
We've got a commercialized zeitgeist, if you will


I won't.

And you lose another 3 points for shoehorning the word "zeitgeist" into your post.

We get it. You're smart. Let's move on.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
ITT we chat about old-but-good expressions. Discuss.
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2004, 03:46:25 pm »

I'm sorry, jough.

ITT we chat about old-but-good expressions. Discuss.

(P.S. it was actually a crowbar, not a shoehorn.)

*huuuugs!*
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2004, 03:54:16 pm »

I don't know what ITT stands for, and I don't want to. No more of that, please.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2004, 04:15:44 pm »

Sorry, I guess none of you guys are goons...?

Anyhow, ITT just means, "In This Thread".

I will refrain from using it if it bothers you, however.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2004, 04:18:16 pm »

ITY IDWTK. AYAC SIOK. NM.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2004, 04:41:07 pm »

My grandma seems to have difficulty making it through an entire week without using "piss like a racehoss" and/or "tit in a wringer" so I've picked up both of those.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2004, 04:47:21 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My grandma seems to have difficulty making it through an entire week without using "piss like a racehoss" and/or "tit in a wringer" so I've picked up both of those.

I like her - does she smoke cigars, drink whiskey, play pool, and spit?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Old but good expressions
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2004, 05:33:36 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My grandma seems to have difficulty making it through an entire week without using "piss like a racehoss" and/or "tit in a wringer" so I've picked up both of those.

Wow, and I thought the time as a kid that my father introduced me to the phrase "snot locker" and I used it incessantly for three weeks was bad.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2004, 05:49:35 pm »

That's one sexy x.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2004, 05:56:45 pm »

Has anyone already said that we're all over this topic like a cheap suit?  I can't believe it's gone to four pages.  I love us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2004, 06:01:41 pm »

We're on this topic like white on rice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2004, 07:54:50 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
My grandma seems to have difficulty making it through an entire week without using "piss like a racehoss" and/or "tit in a wringer" so I've picked up both of those.

Wow, and I thought the time as a kid that my father introduced me to the phrase "snot locker" and I used it incessantly for three weeks was bad.

My dad was constantly telling me to "blow that snot locker!" And my best friend's dad would say, "you think you're hot snot on a silver platter but you're just a cold booger on a paper plate."

Quote from: "wombat"
Has anyone already said that we're all over this topic like a cheap suit? I can't believe it's gone to four pages. I love us.

No, but I said you were all over this thread like Heinz has pickles.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up