Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New purchases  (Read 12709 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2004, 04:30:42 pm »

I've only ever bought milk twice and eggs never. Does this make me a bad person?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2004, 06:20:43 pm »

This reminds me, I need to go to the store.  

As it's Good Friday, I need to get some stuff to make a vegetarian stew this evening.  

I wish I'd remembered this earlier when I was running errands.  Whoops.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New purchases
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 06:22:45 pm »

The local dairy farm store was out of non-fat (i.e. what they're calling "skim milk") today, so I had to pick up 1%, which is surprisingly creamy after I've gotten used to drinking the 0% stuff.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2004, 07:45:50 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
This reminds me, I need to go to the store.  

As it's Good Friday, I need to get some stuff to make a vegetarian stew this evening.  

I wish I'd remembered this earlier when I was running errands.  Whoops.

Don't forget no big supper either. Only two "moderate" meals allowed on Ash Wednesday/Good Friday. Unless you're pregnant, sick, old, or adolescent.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 07:57:22 pm »

...or not Christian.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2004, 08:09:19 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
...or not Christian.

Actually I'm pretty sure this whole deal is only for Catholics.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2004, 08:19:44 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Don't forget no big supper either. Only two "moderate" meals allowed on Ash Wednesday/Good Friday. Unless you're pregnant, sick, old, or adolescent.


Right.  Hence the soup.  Although we're Lutheran and not bound to the traditional Catholic rules, Pedro was raised Roman Catholic and we do observe many Catholic traditions out of mutual respect for the faith.  Plus, there are a lot of neat things about some of the Catholic rites and rituals that don't require you to actually be Catholic to derive benefit from them.  I mean, I don't believe I'll go to hell if I eat a bacon cheeseburger tonight, but I think it's worth the effort to avoid gluttonous meatfests a few days a year if it helps me reflect on what this particular holiday means for people of my religious persuasion.  

But, lest this post drift too far off topic, I'd best check the expiration on my 2%.  I can't drink anything with less milkfat than that; it's like mixing powdered non-dairy creamer with water and drinking that (which I've done out of sheer desparation only once).  Skim horrifies me.  Before I started watching my weight, I drank whole milk.  My soy-milk-drinking roommate was horrified.  But I figure, if you're gonna drink milk, why go halfway?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 08:42:35 pm »

Eh.  I'm too lazy for that.  I just sniff and take the consequences.  Although I do check the expiry before I sniff.  If it's more than a week past, I don't bother sniffing.  I just dump it out and recycle the container.  

Forget asking Pedro to sniff anything.  The man's practically a bloodhound, he could smell "off" milk without removing the lid.  Nine times out of ten, by the time something's bad in the fridge, he's already noticed it.  Of course, he doesn't actually remove it.  He just leaves it there until I get around to taking care of it.  

What is it with men?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New purchases
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 09:44:03 pm »

Cleaning the fridge is woman's work.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2004, 10:20:34 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
it's like mixing powdered non-dairy creamer with water and drinking that (which I've done out of sheer desparation only once).


Now that's just wrong.  What dire combination of circumstances brought you to such a sad state?  I mean -- drink water, have a co-cola or a shot of tequila.  Anything.  Sheeesh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 11:48:19 pm »

I honestly don't remember the circumstances -- only that I was about nine years old, and I wanted a glass of milk, dammit.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 03:09:15 am »

I suppose you can be forgiven, considering your youth and inexperience.  But don't let it happen again, missy!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2004, 11:00:40 pm »

Ahem.
To restore topicality, I bought Twilight, by the Handsome Family, last night, as well as a used copy of Swansong For You, by the Gentle Waves, a band that consisted entirely of Isobel Campbell (formerly of Belle et Sebastian), who now is recording under her own name so INDIE POP MAKES MY BRAIN HURT. But anyway, the Gentle Waves album is really nice and makes me feel warm and happy inside (until I am filled with shame for being such a girly man), and I haven't had a chance to really absorb the Handsome Family album. However, I rediscovered my copy of Fear and Whiskey, by the Mekons, which kind of got lost on the way home from New York. And it is AWESOME. Because I haven't spent much of my tip money this week, it being hard to find things to buy when you're sleeping off some sort of Chinese Death Flu, I might buy a Link Wray album tonight.

EDIT: Okay, I realized that I am very dumb and randomly talking about milk was IN FACT still on topic. Damn you, Lawnmower Jough.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 03:00:38 am »

My reduced-fat (what's that? all I know is "skim" and "two-percent") has yesterday's date on it. Would it kill me to pour it on some cereal tomorrow?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
New purchases
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2004, 04:54:45 am »

Yes.  You are in dire peril.  Evacuate your home immeadiately!

Leave your doors unlocked.  And all your valuables.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up